Graphics
nVidia GTX 970
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have been having a problem with this drive randomly opening every once in a while. I will be sitting here and the tray will come out. It also tends to just drop off the system after a while, and actually needs a shutdown to bring it back up again. The system just stops recognizing it. I feel like that problem has started more recently though. Any suggestions? Thanks.

10.6.6 64-bit

BThresher said:
I have been having a problem with this drive randomly opening every once in a while. I will be sitting here and the tray will come out. It also tends to just drop off the system after a while, and actually needs a shutdown to bring it back up again. The system just stops recognizing it. I feel like that problem has started more recently though. Any suggestions? Thanks.

10.6.6 64-bit

Is there a problem with the SATA cable itself? Have you tried to replace the cable?

I don't believe so. I will check again though. I have a feeling it has to do with the software side of it. Some days it does it, and others it doesn't. Not a huge deal though. I'll let you know. Thanks!

I have a Lite-On iHBS112, which I believe is the same hardware - just sold as bulk and no Lightscribe. Random opening happens rarely, but sometimes during boot I reckon. I've had similar experiences with freezing, often when I've tried to eject a disk the drive has just frozen on me, and I've needed a shutdown (not just reboot) to bring it back to life. This doesn't happen right after boot, or after using the disk, but rather after being idle a while.

I think it has to do with energy settings, if I disable "put hard disks to sleep" the optical drive too seem to "keep alive". I rarely use optical disks in OS X though, so I can't say for sure if this is a working "solution".

I plan on putting my Lite-On in the GSATA-ports (and keep them disabled) and just have my Sony Optiarc 7260 available in OS X - I really want the OS to put my hard disks to sleep if possible as I boot from SSD and only use the mechanical disks for storage of films/music.

That is a good Idea, I think I can deal with it because I like the idea of it sleeping. Just upgraded to Lion and haven't had the issue yet. Fingers are crossed.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I'm having the same issue with the same model Lite-On Blu-Ray drive. Drive tray randomly ejects, and later closes again. I've disabled putting drives to sleep with no effect. Frequency is not too high, maybe a couple of times per day.

I have not noticed the drive failing. Seems to be benign, but annoying.

Mine has been doing this less and less lately. Maybe once every couple weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back