Contribute
Register

List of Macs that can run macOS 14 Sonoma

I have updated my Haswell system to iMac19,1 smbios. Everything is fine. Sonoma Beta is showing in update. I will wait for Sonoma 14.1, whenever it comes.
ok mr .. Haswell ... You go on. Let us boil in this green cauldron of jealousy ...
:sick::sick::sick:

Wait! so in theory your excellent 7020/9020 builds @trs96, aren't they capable of running Ventura and probably Sonoma?

aren't they capable of running Ventura and probably Sonoma?
As of right now, haven't tried Sonoma with Haswell. It's probable with a dedicated AMD GPU that still has support. So Polaris or newer. There's a whole thead on AMD graphic support in Graphics forum.

As of right now, haven't tried Sonoma with Haswell. It's probable with a dedicated AMD GPU that still has support. So Polaris or newer. There's a whole thead on AMD graphic support in Graphics forum.
I tried it yesterday. It works With RX6600XT, OC 0.9.3, latest kexts, SMBIOS iMac19,1.

First updated the SMBIOS from iMac18,3 to iMac19,1 (also updated SMBIOS in USBports kext)

Now I can access Sonoma beta in system update. I didn't wanted to risk existing Ventura, so tried to download full installer from Apple. But it was downloading a .ipsw file. Didn't wanted to deal with it. so, downloaded DMG installer from https://mrmacintosh.com/macos-sonoma-full-installer-database-download-directly-from-apple/

Created a Sonoma APFS volume on the Ventura boot disk, which is NVMe M.2.

Tried to install from the created USB installer, but it failed at installer stage. Then, I directly launched the downloaded installer from Applications folder and installed from it, and it worked smoothly !

Same EFI works with both Ventura and Sonoma. Only change in config is MaxKernel limit of 22.9.9 (Ventura) for NVMeFix.kext (and AirportBrcm, if you have a working wifi in Ventura). Initially added -lilubetaall in boot args, but removed it, as it is not needed with latest kexts.

It doesn't feel like a beta. Stable, and even sleep works well. I don't have Wifi BT card, but they seem to have issues for now.

Sonoma doesn't have many new features, but it feels better than Ventura, and more iOS like. But I hated the screen saver / wallpaper. Can't believe Apple uses such colors. Changed it immediately.

I suppose it's time to update mine from an iMac18,3 to an iMac19,1 if I want to even attempt to install Sonoma. Thankfully, I've got a spare NVMe that I can try it out on.

I have 2x hackintoshes which I and my partner mainly use for our work (video editing, color grading, ps, lr and ae) and by seeing the end of hackintosh era is troubling me and make me sad! I do not accept to buy a preconfigured all in one system with zero upgradeability and throw it in the trashcan after a couple of years where I bought a new camera that the system cannot handle it's files! I have iPhones, Macbook air M1, iPads etc but these products aren't for pro use for my work! You see in the world last decade that in every aspect of life we get more and more restrictions from our governments! I really don't know what to do as I was thinking that I can upgrade my hackintoshes with half the money and gain more power than a mac studio with m2 ultra and a ton of upgradeability and now our hands are tied! This is the beginning of the end of custom build computers for all of us! I have loved this community for years and it's really hard for me to see the end of it...

Last edited:
I have 2x hackintoshes which I and my partner mainly use for our work (video editing, color grading, ps, lr and ae) and by seeing the end of hackintosh era is troubling me and make me sad! I do not accept to buy a preconfigured all in one system with zero upgradeability and throw it in the trashcan after a couple of years where I bought a new camera that the system cannot handle it's files! I have iPhones, Macbook air M1, iPads etc but these products aren't for pro use for my work! You see in the world last decade that in every aspect of life we get more and more restrictions from our governments! I really don't know what to do as I was thinking that I can upgrade my hackintoshes with half the money and gain more power than a mac studio with m2 ultra and a ton of upgradeability and now our hands are tied! This is the beginning of the end of custom build computers for all of us! I have loved this community for years and it's really hard for me to see the end of it...
Yes, the hackintoshing era is slowly coming to an end but in saying that, it will only be for new OS's that come out maybe in the next 2 years or so. I went and got myself a M2 Mac Studio to compliment my hack and it works great actually, not as fast as my 13900K hack but okay for what I do. I will still keep on hacking until the last day and then see what the future holds. This community has given us a hobby that keeps the heart beating.

I must be missing something. I am getting this error when I run upgrade in System Settings (Ventura 13.5.2). My OC is 095 with latest kext and I am using iMac20,1 in PlatformInfo.

UPDATE: I was able to download the full installer app via command line and use that to upgrade to macOS 14 Sonoma. No issues so far.

Screenshot 2023-09-26 at 11.27.04 AM.png
sonomaUpgrade.png

Last edited:
SUCCESS!!

Sonoma successfully installed and running in a semi-production environment on two Custom Hacks (see my builds H97 & Z490). One is a Plex media server for a dozen or so users (Haswell), and the other (Comet Lake) is a production studio (AV & Photo) where about 150GB of video transcoding is completed each week.

Discoveries: the installer USB functioned in a USB3.0 port on the MSI Z490 board (I think maybe because they are true dual-protocol ports?), but had to be inserted in a USB1.1 port on the Gigabyte H97 board. Otherwise, OpenCore instructions nailed it... got everything exactly right on the initial install!

Problems:
* I'm having a hard time getting my USB mapping to stick on the MSI board - one of the USB3 ports keeps dropping out after I complete the mapping tool and my custom config. All of the other ports work when correctly mapped.
* I'm using MacPro7,1 on the Haswell board (H97), so I have the issue with the incorrect memory configuration yet to fix - there are some great write-ups and "how-to's" out there to resolve this one, so it's just a matter of time, now.

Back