3. Classic
  4. iMac
  5. Power Mac
  6. PowerBook
  7. Quadra
  8. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've run into a peculiar issue with my rig that has been bugging me all weekend. A quick bit of background to explain:

Originally, I had 12GB of RAM... configured as 6 2GB sticks in triple channel. Everything was completely stable and working properly, including sleep and wake functionality.

I just replaced the original memory with a total of 24GB, configured as 6 4GB identical sticks. Everything still works fine when running and the computer goes into sleep, but will no longer wake. When I try to wake the system, the fans spin up and the power light comes on solid as if it is waking, but it never displays and the keyboard is unresponsive. Resetting doesn't revive it and I need to physically unplug the computer before it will boot again. Then it runs fine until I put it to sleep. Memtest passes all the RAM, so it's not defective. The weird thing is that if I pull out half the new RAM, and leave it with 3 4GB sticks (back to 12GB but configured differently), sleep and wake work normally again.

My first thought was that the DSDT was causing issues, so I re-extracted and patched it with all six sticks of the new RAM installed. This didn't seem to have any effect on the problem. A quick search didn't reveal much, but I am hoping that someone has an idea of something else to try. Thanks!

tviolation said:
I've run into a peculiar issue with my rig that has been bugging me all weekend. A quick bit of background to explain:

Originally, I had 12GB of RAM... configured as 6 2GB sticks in triple channel. Everything was completely stable and working properly, including sleep and wake functionality.

I just replaced the original memory with a total of 24GB, configured as 6 4GB identical sticks. Everything still works fine when running and the computer goes into sleep, but will no longer wake. When I try to wake the system, the fans spin up and the power light comes on solid as if it is waking, but it never displays and the keyboard is unresponsive. Resetting doesn't revive it and I need to physically unplug the computer before it will boot again. Then it runs fine until I put it to sleep. Memtest passes all the RAM, so it's not defective. The weird thing is that if I pull out half the new RAM, and leave it with 3 4GB sticks (back to 12GB but configured differently), sleep and wake work normally again.

My first thought was that the DSDT was causing issues, so I re-extracted and patched it with all six sticks of the new RAM installed. This didn't seem to have any effect on the problem. A quick search didn't reveal much, but I am hoping that someone has an idea of something else to try. Thanks!

Somehow your hibernate.file can't be written or read.

yes smells a lot to the hibernate file...

Check if hibernate is enabled by

sudo pmset -g

this command will also tell you where the hibernate file will be created. Check you have at least 24Gb free , or better, disable hibernate .

Thanks for the quick responses guys. Hibernate file seemed like a good call, but didn't seem to resolve it. There's plenty of disk space for the file and the hibernate mode was already set to 0 (it's a desktop, so this is standard). Still pondering what to try next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back