Contribute
Register

Lion Win7 Dual Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
plexi said:
Even easier now these guys have created rboot!

1. Install OSX
2. Get it fully functional
3. Use Disc Utilities to make a FAT partition
4. Install Win 7 formating the FAT partition to NTFS from the Win 7 install disc
5. Forget about OSX until Win 7 is fully updated
6. Once all updates are done, boot into the bios and set CD drive as first boot device
7. Boot back into OSX using rboot and re-install Chimera
8. ENJOY :headbang:

can i get my windows 7 drive working again without a format?

zenasprime said:
Okay, Strangely enough if I boot from the "System Reserved" partition I'm able to start up in windows. Unless I'm somehow remembering incorrectly, I thought I remember this partition NOT being bootable from Chimera. *shrug* I guess it's working now?

If you set Sata to AHCI mode, Windows will not boot in chimera. Set it to IDE in BIOS and see if it works. I tried tis method and windows booted nicely, but when i booted back to os x i saw that windows hdd is not recognized.

zenasprime said:
Okay, Strangely enough if I boot from the "System Reserved" partition I'm able to start up in windows. Unless I'm somehow remembering incorrectly, I thought I remember this partition NOT being bootable from Chimera. *shrug* I guess it's working now?

The "System Reserved" partition is the boot partition for Win7. The Windows NTFS partition is not bootable. (Unless, of course, you pre-formatted your partition and then installed - in which case the "System Reserved" partition is not created.)

Mak 1 said:
If you set Sata to AHCI mode, Windows will not boot in chimera.
False - it will boot if the bios is set to AHCI, especially if you set the bios to ahci before you install windows.

Mak 1 said:
Set it to IDE in BIOS and see if it works. I tried tis method and windows booted nicely, but when i booted back to os x i saw that windows hdd is not recognized.

It did not work for you because you failed to enable AHCI in Windows - a very simple procedure. The easiest way is to go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 and click on the fixit button. Or you can edit your registry by hand. Your choice.

Thanks for your tip man. I will try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back