9800gt
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey All,

Big fan to this site. I have learned a lot from it's resources.
Surprisingly, this is my first post.

Today, I successfully got my Hackintosh to create a native '"Recovery HD" for itself, Post Installation. It is exactly the same size as my working Recovery HD on my actual apple hardware.

Now, I'm assuming I am halfway to functionality and would need to 1. Get my boot loader to identify the Hidden Apple_Boot Partition, 2. Crack open the Recovery HD and Hack away.

Suggestions? Others at this point?

Cheers.

I should mention I am running Chimera 1.7 -> Lion 1.7.3. I used a script in the recoveryHDupdate.dmg disk image to recreate it natively, so it should read sw_vers 10.7.2 which I am assuming I could update to 10.7.3 with the combo update. Should have thought of this prior to updating, but a rebuild is never that difficult.

I'll tell you why I don't think this will work. A "Recovery HD" partition downloads the Lion installer from the Apple servers every time you need to reinstall OS X. The drivers needed to run OS X natively on your computer need to be loaded at some point, so you are probably better off just creating a Lion USB drive with UniBeast. Interested if you can get this to work somehow though...

I've already done that via USB. Also, having a working Lion Recovery HD also enables Find My Mac and FileVault2 Encryption.

I'm curious about having access to the Recovery Partition's Disk Utility and Terminal rather than installation via Internet Recovery (which I can say Internet Recovery is cool, but a super pain in the ass).

Wondering if changing the dimensions of the Recovery HD partition, duplicating necessary install packages and modifying the installer script to use local rather than internet, would accomplish anything?

mostly curious.

I originally installed via UniBeast - Lion Thumb Drive
Created TWO partitions.
First was my Boot HFS+
Second FREESPACE, must be the 650.0mb min, I recommend 1gb.

install as necessary.

then follow this guide.

http://derflounder.wordpress.com/2011/1 ... partition/

only focusing on Steps 3+.

And Voila. That is what I did.

milwaukeeJ said:
I've already done that via USB. Also, having a working Lion Recovery HD also enables Find My Mac and FileVault2 Encryption.

I'm curious about having access to the Recovery Partition's Disk Utility and Terminal rather than installation via Internet Recovery (which I can say Internet Recovery is cool, but a super pain in the ass).

Wondering if changing the dimensions of the Recovery HD partition, duplicating necessary install packages and modifying the installer script to use local rather than internet, would accomplish anything?

mostly curious.

I originally installed via UniBeast - Lion Thumb Drive
Created TWO partitions.
First was my Boot HFS+
Second FREESPACE, must be the 650.0mb min, I recommend 1gb.

install as necessary.

then follow this guide.

http://derflounder.wordpress.com/2011/1 ... partition/

only focusing on Steps 3+.

And Voila. That is what I did.

Instead of updating it, which doesn't seem to work, why not try starting over and cloning a OS X 10.7.3 Recovery HD?

Um, it Natively installed itself, and natively updated itself. and is using itself for Find my Mac and Filevault2. Now filevault2 won't work, yet, I believe I need to put my boot loader on the 200mb EFI partition rather than my HFS Boot Drive. FV2 gives me a key and reboots as per it should but hangs on Boot(0) GPT.

Cloning a partition is not native sir. I want this Vanilla as Day, with all the bells and whistles working natively.

I will accomplish this.

@stuckwithme247 you dig? It does update itself contrary to your post. Please see that link about rebuilding a broken or malfunction Lion Recovery HD.

milwaukeeJ said:
Um, it Natively installed itself, and natively updated itself. and is using itself for Find my Mac and Filevault2. Now filevault2 won't work, yet, I believe I need to put my boot loader on the 200mb EFI partition rather than my HFS Boot Drive. FV2 gives me a key and reboots as per it should but hangs on Boot(0) GPT.

Cloning a partition is not native sir. I want this Vanilla as Day, with all the bells and whistles working natively.

I will accomplish this.

@stuckwithme247 you dig? It does update itself contrary to your post. Please see that link about rebuilding a broken or malfunction Lion Recovery HD.

Interesting, I've always wanted this to work. Keep up posted!

Ever get this to work on Mountain Lion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back