Lion Reboots after app store install

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
i5-860
Graphics
9500 GT
Hello.

I am having a problem booting after i did the lion update from the app store. I followed tonymacx86 guide and have all the requirements. My current snow leopard was 10.6.7 when i attempted the update.

Once i did the lion update (which apparently is just install files which shouldn't harm the hard drive) my computer just reboots just before the apple logo. I turned on verbose and it hangs after "Starting Darwin x86_64". Also, my hard drive name has changed after i did this update to "MAC OS X BASE SYSTEM"

I just wanted to point out that i do have a striped raid setup with the latest bootloader from tonymacx86. The lion update shouldn't have changed my kernel as its just prep for the actual install.

Any ideas what i can do?. I didn't even make the installer partition yet, as i couln't boot back into snow leopard after doing the lion update from the app store.

Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Hey, setting up RAID could be hectic. Here is a good scripting tool provided by digital_dreamer. It allows you to customize boot helper partition and install mach_kernel and other necessary components. I have benefited from using it when setting up my RAID with Lion.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185097

Do remember to repair permission after you done the raid setup. Disk Utility won't allow you to perform it over GUI, since apple could only fix permission for Boot disk. But I found that you could do this through terminal using diskutil command.

Let us know how it works for you.

bcotnam said:
Hello.

I am having a problem booting after i did the lion update from the app store. I followed tonymacx86 guide and have all the requirements. My current snow leopard was 10.6.7 when i attempted the update.

Once i did the lion update (which apparently is just install files which shouldn't harm the hard drive) my computer just reboots just before the apple logo. I turned on verbose and it hangs after "Starting Darwin x86_64". Also, my hard drive name has changed after i did this update to "MAC OS X BASE SYSTEM"

I just wanted to point out that i do have a striped raid setup with the latest bootloader from tonymacx86. The lion update shouldn't have changed my kernel as its just prep for the actual install.

Any ideas what i can do?. I didn't even make the installer partition yet, as i couln't boot back into snow leopard after doing the lion update from the app store.

Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Thanks for the update.

The raid was already fully functional with snow leopard (i've had it setup for some time now). Everytime i did an update i would just mount my hidden raid partitions and manually add the kernel to them along with the boot file for installing new bootloaders which worked out quite well. Thanks for the link though, i'll check it out for furure updates.

The problem is i can't login to snow leopard to do anything, like i said above it just hangs on startup. I don't know why the lion update would have cause my system not to boot if its just prep files. Below are the last lines in verbose before it reboots.

ACPI table not found: SSDT.aml
FADT: Restart fix applied
FADT: Using custom DSDT
Starting Darwin x86_64

I'm using Chimera Bootloader v1.4.1

I think I know exactly what your problem is (hopefully :D)...It can't find the DSDT.aml you put in your /Extra folder. Thus leading to no-show for Snowl-Leopard or Lion.

I had the same issue before. After trail and error for 2 days., I found that one need to specify where the DSDT.aml is in com.apple.boot.plist.

Try add two lines like this:

<key>DSDT</key>
<string>/Extra/DSDT.aml</string>

I hope this would solve your problem.

bcotnam said:
Thanks for the update.

The raid was already fully functional with snow leopard (i've had it setup for some time now). Everytime i did an update i would just mount my hidden raid partitions and manually add the kernel to them along with the boot file for installing new bootloaders which worked out quite well. Thanks for the link though, i'll check it out for furure updates.

The problem is i can't login to snow leopard to do anything, like i said above it just hangs on startup. I don't know why the lion update would have cause my system not to boot if its just prep files. Below are the last lines in verbose before it reboots.

ACPI table not found: SSDT.aml
FADT: Restart fix applied
FADT: Using custom DSDT
Starting Darwin x86_64

I'm using Chimera Bootloader v1.4.1

Good Suggestion. Do you know of any way to pass the location of dsdt.aml at the bootloader prompt? Unfortunately, i cant log in and change that setting.

I think you can boot using you Lion/SL installation disk. Go to the terminal that comes with it and Vola! :D mount your hidden helper drive.

bcotnam said:
Good Suggestion. Do you know of any way to pass the location of dsdt.aml at the bootloader prompt? Unfortunately, i cant log in and change that setting.

So, i launched from SL install dvd and opened terminal and mounted my raid helper partitions and added to com.apple.boot.plist (located in /Extra) the DSDT key and /Extra/DSDT.aml String, to both helper partitons of my raid drive.

Still getting the same problem. I have attached a screenshot before the computer reboots.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Attachments

• Lion_Install.png
    Lion_Install.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 236
I have the same problem. How did you fix it. Im trying to install Mountain Lion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back