Contribute
Register

Lion crashes after upgrading 12GB ram (from 8GB)

Status
Not open for further replies.
hananias said:
My machine has been running perfectly, for about a year. But ever since I added a 4GB stick, total = 12GB (3 x 4GB).

It just freezes! No beach ball, no kernel panic... all the sudden every things stops. I can't move the mouse, nothing... completely frozen. So I have to force shutoff (holding power button) and power on again.

This crash happens after the machine has ran for a while (say 3-5 hrs). But sometimes freezes sooner than that! It crashed when I had only 1, 2 apps running. I'm not making it work so hard.... :?: :?: :?:

I tried to lower speed in ram, that helped a little, but still crashed! :banghead:
So I reset bios settings to hackintosh compatible.

My setup is in the description.
But here it is anyways:

-GA-P67A-UD3 (F4) bios settings at default hackintosh settings
-i5-2500 (not "k")
-12 GB ddr3 ram (formally running 8GB perfect, no crashes)
-ge 9600GT
-620w PSU
-sata drives: 1x 64GB SSD (boot disk) HDD: 1x160GB (pictures) 1x 250Gb (movies) 1x 1Tb (time machine)

I don't think I'm under power... can anyone recommend bios settings needed to run 12GB fine.

Thanks in advance.

I been experiencing random crashes and lockups ever since I installed Lion about 7 weeks ago. Too many to mention. I was about ready to go back to SL 10.6.8.

I noticed you have an NVIDA GeForce 9600GT. Be advised, there are new drivers out for Lion 10.7.3 machines with Cuda and GeForce cards (version 270.00.00f01 released 2/27/2012). The Nvidia website details state "Contains performance improvements and bug fixes for a wide range of applications." It also goes on to say its for "...is for Mac Pro 5,1 (2010), Mac Pro 4,1 (2009) and Mac Pro 3,1 (2008) users only.". That said, I have a hackinstosh (see spec below) that I've just installed the driver. No crashes yet... fingers crossed.

This is the link: http://www.geforce.com/Drivers/Results/42416. The file is 31MB.

Or, search the NVIDA site for the phrase "Quadro & GeForce Release 270.00.00f01 ".

My build:
Asus P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K
NVIDA GeForce 460SE
Patriot, 16GB (4x4) DDR3 RAM
Corsair H70 Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back