Contribute
Register

LION AND SNOW LEOPARD DUAL BOOT ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
KS1771 said:
Dears ,

Is it possible to do a Dual Boot with Lion and Snow Leopard ?

What's the point? It's not necessary to do that!

KS1771 said:
Dears ,

Yes many people have their rigs set up like this. Makes recovery easy when one dies

Haxx187 said:
KS1771 said:
Dears ,

Yes many people have their rigs set up like this. Makes recovery easy when one dies

Makes sense to me. The question is: what's the best way to do this? Presently, my system boots Ubuntu, SL and W7. I'm considering upgrading to Lion (already made the purchase), but would like to keep SL around for a while, at least until I convince myself that I can live w Lion.

Would creating an identically sized partition as my current SL install on the same HD allow the SL partition to be copied to the new partition using dd from the terminal? And would that new partition then show up as a bootable install from Chameleon? I'm guessing probably so. I would then hope that if I booted from my original SL install and updated to Lion, that my cloned SL install would be untouched and still bootable from Chameleon.

Any thoughts? Anyone actually done this? Thanks.

DelhiHackintosh said:
Would creating an identically sized partition as my current SL install on the same HD allow the SL partition to be copied to the new partition using dd from the terminal? And would that new partition then show up as a bootable install from Chameleon? I'm guessing probably so. I would then hope that if I booted from my original SL install and updated to Lion, that my cloned SL install would be untouched and still bootable from Chameleon.

Yes, you could use dd or you could use CCC or SuperDuper. But why not install Lion direct to the new partition? To get full 64-bit and the new kernel you need to install to a clean partition. Installing over SL keeps the SL kernel. OTOH, if you want to keep everything the way it is and just "upgrade", then install over SL would be the way to go.

Going Bald said:
DelhiHackintosh said:

Yes, you could use dd or you could use CCC or SuperDuper. But why not install Lion direct to the new partition? To get full 64-bit and the new kernel you need to install to a clean partition. Installing over SL keeps the SL kernel. OTOH, if you want to keep everything the way it is and just "upgrade", then install over SL would be the way to go.

I'm confused. If I just create a new partition on the HD where my SL is presently installed, will Lion allow an installation there w/o messing w my SL installation? I had assumed that the requirement for SL 10.6.8 for a Lion installation meant that Lion would completely overwrite the SL installation. Hence, my desire to clone SL before the Lion install. But you seem to be suggesting that not to be necessary. Or do I quite misunderstand you?

I want to end up with a new, fresh install of Lion and keep my present SL installation, with both on adjacent partitions on a single HD, and be able to boot to either w/o muss or fuss.

Thanks.

Create partition on existing drive with existing SL install Disk Utility formatted for OS X.
Create UniBeast USB installer.
Boot UniBeast installer.
Select just created partition. Install.
Download 10.7.2 combo update, download MultiBeast for Lion, copy DSDT from SL to Lion desktop.
Install update and run MultiBeast UsedDSDT. Eject Lion USB and remove.
Reboot. Select OSX, Win or Lion at Chimera screen

Thanks. That's straight-forward enough. Will give it a whirl when I get time.

ADDED: since I'll be a while before I try this, I'll ask a question to which I think I know the answer.

Does it matter WHERE on the HD the new partition for the Lion install is created? The easiest approach seems to be to shrink my SL install partition, and created a new partition of similar size AFTER that one.

If it really matters, someone please weigh-in and give me a heads-up, please. I'm quite pleased to learn that I can install Lion w/o losing my SL installation. But, having seen a variety of installs go bad over very many years, I'm being a bit cautious on this one.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back