Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi guys,

I was happily running Lion for some weeks until I updated the bios from 108 to 701 on my Asus P6X58d-e motherboard. After that, 10.7.4 decided that it wouldn't boot up. I've run verbose to troubleshoot the problem and it always gets stuck on cpu failure (see screen shot). I've tried cpus=1 but that doesn't work. Even an attempt to launch a fresh installation of Lion from Unibeast USB produces the same error. I haven't changed anything except the bios. I even managed to roll the bios back to 108 but still no luck. I'm totally baffled.

My system:
P6X58D-E Motherboard
Intel i7 950 @ 3.06 GHZ
Nvidia Geforce 460

Screenshot of the issue below. I'm not really sure what else I should try. Any ideas?

please help, I'd quite like my Lion backphoto.JPG

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 212
bimal2 said:
Hi guys,

I was happily running Lion for some weeks until I updated the bios from 108 to 701 on my Asus P6X58d-e motherboard. After that, 10.7.4 decided that it wouldn't boot up. I've run verbose to troubleshoot the problem and it always gets stuck on cpu failure (see screen shot). I've tried cpus=1 but that doesn't work. Even an attempt to launch a fresh installation of Lion from Unibeast USB produces the same error. I haven't changed anything except the bios. I even managed to roll the bios back to 108 but still no luck. I'm totally baffled.

My system:
P6X58D-E Motherboard
Intel i7 950 @ 3.06 GHZ
Nvidia Geforce 460

Screenshot of the issue below. I'm not really sure what else I should try. Any ideas?

please help, I'd quite like my Lion backphoto.JPG

After you updated (or downgraded) the BIOS did you modify the setting of the BIOS back to the way it was before you updated (for example, SATA mode should be set to AHCI)?

BIOS flash tools usually reset its settings to defaults which is not OSX friendly. You need to re adjust those settings.

I did get CPU 0x6 sometimes ago after upgrade to 10.7.4 from 10.7.3. Initially I need to cpu power from psu then i'll be alright until another cold boot. The most recent DSDT update allow me to update the BIOS in my MB to the latest version with CPU detection bug fixes. This fixed the CPU failure KP, which has return since this BIOS+DSDT update.

Good Luck

Thanks for the posts. I have made sure that the ACHI settings are back. I will try and disconnect my PSU to see if that works.. I'll be back...

Ok so, I removed the psu cables and pretty much every cable from the PSU to the motherboard. I also removed the CPU from its socket. ACHI is on. I'm still getting CPU Failure 0x6. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Thanks

change the bios version back to the one you had before new is not always best

AHCI is only one part of the BIOS equation to get right. Certain things are not supported by apple. Example, on a GIGABYTE Z77 UD5H there are two onboard sound chips. One is a Via XXX, the other is a sound blaster x-fi sound chip. If in your bios you enable the sound blaster chip and try to boot apple you will get Kernal Panics all day till you disable the sound blaster chip. (Apple does not support or use those sound cards). You need to do your homework and follow the Tony Mac guide for Bios setups. Disable those items he suggests. Learn your various chipsets on your MB. For example above gigabyte board has TWO different Lan ports. One is alc86xx, the other an Intel 100 Pro xxx. Your problems are in your Bios settings. You need to carefully disable those settings that apple does not use or support. Same goes for Tony Mac Apps such as multi beast. Don't enable, unless you have a dsdt custom or is supported by multi beast or other apps from Tony Mac.

Final thoughts on CPU Panics. If you do not set your CPU settings in Bios correctly, you will KP till you get it right. I consult all the time with people on how and what is needed to be able to run Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion. Try using the load optimized defaults first, and then zero in on CPU settings that could cause problems..... Such as Speed Stepping, Sleep States for low CPU power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back