Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey guys,

So let's just say I'm tired of searching through a million threads with no specific information on supported cards, and what it takes EXACTLY to configure the card, and if it works 100% without any issues like DVD player crashes I've heard of etc. OOB.

Assuming you have a proper motherboard DSDT installed and setup with MultiBeast, what settings are required to get a reference design Radeon HD 6870 working 'OOB' like I've read it should be supported?

Please list your system definition, and your org.chameleon.plist settings.

Do you need to use Graphics Enabler = yes? Can you omit this, and have it work 100%? Do you need any other settings? I've purchased and setup a bootable installation disk for Lion 10.7.3 fresh install, and getting prepared to throw in this card until my Radeon 7970 is supported (if ever :))

Thanks guys!

Here you go!
You'll need two DVI cables hooked up and a HDMI cable for dual monitors.
What's your Mobo and who makes your GUI card?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Duckweed</string>
<key>AtiPorts</key>
<string>4</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Thank you very much! Awesome :)

I have a Diamond HD 6870 (the reference card), and a Gigabyte X58A-OC motherboard.

I'm running a 27" Apple Led Cinema Display, so I've got it hooked up to the miniDP port.

I'm running pretty much the same setup as you (27" Cinema Display via reference 6870), and everything just worked out of box with the preconfigured GraphicsEnabler=Yes string. No need to change framebuffers or anything kooky like that.

I did need to edit my system definition and AGPM.kext to get full performance after wake from sleep as per this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=55900

And modified my BIOS to get the full 2560x1440 resolution for Chimera/Apple boot screen: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=41796

One word of warning if you do set Chimera to native Cinema Display res and use a full size 2550x1440 wallpaper: you will break the bootloader with a Memory Allocation Error as it can't handle .png image sizes larger than ~3.8MB. I ended up booting from the Unibeast disk and optimising my background in Photoshop down to a 3.2MB 8-bit PNG (didn't affect image quality as it's just the grey shaded Apple linen background).

Hope that helps.

Interesting... excellent tips ectoplasmosis. Thanks! I will certainly apply the full performance after wake from sleep fix.

I hadn't read what you posted before, but I simply put a string into my chameleon bootlist, to set the graphics mode as '2560x1440x32' -- which only looks stretched in the 'legacy apple boot screen' which doesn't really bother me. Don't know that I'd bother with a bios mode to get rid of less than 5 seconds of that screen not being 16:9!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back