Contribute
Register

Lightroom/VideoEdit Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody, an absolute newbie asks for help...

Try to make my first build ever. Until now I had a macbook air which becomes to slowly in my day to day work.

I need it for photography editing in adobe, still video editing gets more interesting. Like I am on a budget I wanted to start with the photo-build and start with the integrated graphics and get a GPU later for my 4K-Projects (now I would go for a GTX 1060).

So for photo editing i thought about

CPU Intel 7700K, Cooler: Ben Nevis
MB: Gigabyte H170M-3DH
RAM: Ballistic Sports 16 GB (2x8) 2400
SSD: Samsung Evo 850 512 GB
DVD/RW: LG
Power: Thermaltake 530W
WIFI: TP-Link WDN 4800
Bluetooth: IOGEAR 521
Case: NOX Coolbay MX2 (cheap sheet but got a integrated card reader)

Stick in 2 2TB HD I got here and connect it with my NAS
For video editing I wanted to upgrade later with a GPU, now I would love to work with the integrated CPU. Monitor is 1 4K and I want to have 60 HZ, Monitor 2 is UHD

Any complaints? Help is much appreciated!

What about an bigger ATX-Board (I guess I need USB 3.1 in the future for external HD) and Case (something silent but not too expensive)

...any suggestions?

Hi everybody, an absolute newbie asks for help...

Try to make my first build ever. Until now I had a macbook air which becomes to slowly in my day to day work.

I need it for photography editing in adobe, still video editing gets more interesting. Like I am on a budget I wanted to start with the photo-build and start with the integrated graphics and get a GPU later for my 4K-Projects (now I would go for a GTX 1060).

So for photo editing i thought about

CPU Intel 7700K, Cooler: Ben Nevis
MB: Gigabyte H170M-3DH
RAM: Ballistic Sports 16 GB (2x8) 2400
SSD: Samsung Evo 850 512 GB
DVD/RW: LG
Power: Thermaltake 530W
WIFI: TP-Link WDN 4800
Bluetooth: IOGEAR 521
Case: NOX Coolbay MX2 (cheap sheet but got a integrated card reader)

Stick in 2 2TB HD I got here and connect it with my NAS
For video editing I wanted to upgrade later with a GPU, now I would love to work with the integrated CPU. Monitor is 1 4K and I want to have 60 HZ, Monitor 2 is UHD

Any complaints? Help is much appreciated!

What about an bigger ATX-Board (I guess I need USB 3.1 in the future for external HD) and Case (something silent but not too expensive)

...any suggestions?

Any particular reason why you want to go with the 7700K? That H170 motherboard you are using does not support overclocking, and 2133MHz-DDR4 is the standard memory. 2400MHz might work on that motherboard, but the full clocking potential will not be realized. You would save money by getting the non-clocking chip and you might save a few bucks on 2133 since 2400 MHz is going to be the new standard on the 270 series of motherboards. ASRock has already started.

You may want to consider also going with the 6700 CPU, and if you want 3.1 ports, you can also find these on some of the Z170 series boards. The Z170 series also allows you to overclock, so it makes sense to have the 6700K. If you still want to have a 7700K chip, you can use it on motherboard with the Z170 chipset, but if you are not familiar with updating BIOS, you might have problems. The 270 series of motherboards are designed with the 7x00 series of CPUs in mind, so you might consider looking at some of them. The audio codec has not changed on some of them from the 170 series, so it pays to do your homework.

Last edited:
Any particular reason why you want to go with the 7700K? That H170 motherboard you are using does not support overclocking, and 2133MHz-DDR4 is the standard memory. 2400MHz might work on that motherboard, but the full clocking potential will not be realized. You would save money by getting the non-clocking chip and you might save a few bucks on 2133 since 2400 MHz is going to be the new standard on the 270 series of motherboards. ASRock has already started.

You may want to consider also going with the 6700 CPU, and if you want 3.1 ports, you can also find these on some of the Z170 series boards. The Z170 series also allows you to overclock, so it makes sense to have the 6700K.

Thank you so much for your help.
Well I thought to go with Kaby Lake because I read that the performance in video editing is better than in sky lake.
For 3.1: I know that there are z170 around with 3.1 but if I am right this doenst work on hackintosh.
1st prio is stability, I just want to have a reliable system. Like I do not know anything about overclocking I thought I go with this cheap motherboard (80 €), if I need 3.1 I put in an PCI Card.

So what about a MSI Z170A PRO Carbon, if I want to overclock, which RAM?
And does the integrated GPU works?

Thank you so much for your help.
Well I thought to go with Kaby Lake because I read that the performance in video editing is better than in sky lake.
For 3.1: I know that there are z170 around with 3.1 but if I am right this doenst work on hackintosh.
1st prio is stability, I just want to have a reliable system. Like I do not know anything about overclocking I thought I go with this cheap motherboard (80 €), if I need 3.1 I put in an PCI Card.

So what about a MSI Z170A PRO Carbon, if I want to overclock, which RAM?
And does the integrated GPU works?

MSI produces some good motherboards, but I think the Pro Carbon is just a marketing thing. There are really no advantages to it.

The MSI Z170-A PRO LGA 1151 Intel Z170 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard is a good one, it has four USB 3.1 ports (and yes they do work), and it is one of the few Z170 motherboards that can fully utilize the 2400-DDR4 memory. You can use other DDR4 memory too up to 3200MHz, but I don't think that has the XMP chipset that allows for automatic over-clocking. Over here, it can be had for less than a hundred dollars, but I don't know the availability of these in Europe.

I am putting together a bill of equipment for video processing (I use the iMovie and Final Cut pro utilities), and this is one of the two ATX boards I am considering. The other is the ASRock Z170A-X1/3.1. As far as the CPU is concerned, there is not much of a difference between the 6700 and 7700 series. I can pick up the former for 279 dollars at a local shop.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back