GTX 1050Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello all!

I'd built a hackintosh after receiving a lot of help from this forum. I was doing some routine maintenance when, while taking off the CPU fan, a CPU socket pin got stuck in my nail and broke off. The build fails to POST now. The fans spin up and spin down within a second.

The motherboard has a GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB, and the build worked wonderfully! Here's my post about it:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/themacguys-sandy-pro-ga-z77x-ud5h-i5-2500k-hd-3000.137523/

Now I'm at a loss as to what to do. I should have been more careful, but loathing my carelessness now won't put the pin back in place.

So.

Can I get the motherboard repaired by any chance? A single pin was removed, no other visible damage.

IF NOT

What is an LGA1155 motherboard I could buy today that would be compatible with my build (linked above for convenience)?

I'm buying in India, and my main source would be amazon.in or flipkart.in. Perhaps ebay.in but I would prefer not to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hello all!

I'd built a hackintosh after receiving a lot of help from this forum. I was doing some routine maintenance when, while taking off the CPU fan, a CPU socket pin got stuck in my nail and broke off. The build fails to POST now. The fans spin up and spin down within a second.

The motherboard has a GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB, and the build worked wonderfully! Here's my post about it:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/themacguys-sandy-pro-ga-z77x-ud5h-i5-2500k-hd-3000.137523/

Now I'm at a loss as to what to do. I should have been more careful, but loathing my carelessness now won't put the pin back in place.

So.

Can I get the motherboard repaired by any chance? A single pin was removed, no other visible damage.

IF NOT

What is an LGA1155 motherboard I could buy today that would be compatible with my build (linked above for convenience)?

I'm buying in India, and my main source would be amazon.in or flipkart.in. Perhaps ebay.in but I would prefer not to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You might be able to get the MB repaired - you'll have to check with Gigabyte.

Otherwise, the only two boards I see on Amazon.in that would be very easy to get macOS running on would likely be the Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H, which seems quite expensive at ₹16,295 (about US $250): http://www.amazon.in/dp/B007R9CRGW/. On Flipkart.in, there are no good choices; the ones available have only a VGA (D-Sub) connector for graphics.

So the repair of your motherboard might be your best option.

A repair at this point is likely to mean socket replacement, and I have no idea if that is something possible. I'll have to check with Gigabyte I guess. Thanks for the help!

A repair at this point is likely to mean socket replacement, and I have no idea if that is something possible. I'll have to check with Gigabyte I guess. Thanks for the help!

A CPU socket can be replaced just like any other component. The question is whether or not the repair will be cost-effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back