Contribute
Register

LGA 1156 build dead; looking for new build that will boot from my existing SATA HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2
CPU
i7-860
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Long story short, I killed out my existing LGA 1156 build and am looking to build a new system. If anyone wants a recap of how that happened, I detail my problems with upgrading to Catalina from Mojave here and how I killed my system here.

I know there is no such thing as a 100% trouble-free Hackintosh build, and I am researching the forums now looking for a successful build to emulate, but more than just a successful build, I am looking for advice on a build that will let me boot up with these salvaged parts:

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SATA HDD (with 10.14.6 installed)
Western Digital 6TB Black SATA HDD (used as my media drive)
SATA DVD Drive
Sapphire Pulse RX 570 4GB
Fenvi PCIe adapter BCM94360CD

My plan is use these salvaged parts on a new build, do a clean install of Mojave 10.14.6 using Unibeast/Multibeast, and then take that working EFI and replace the working EFI on the salvaged HDD. Theoretically, this should work and put me right back where I left off, right? Or am I missing something?

If I am wrong about swapping the EFI partitions, what is the best way to get my salvaged Mojave 10.14.6 HDD back up and running? Can I use Migration Assistant to bring everything over to a clean Mojave Install? What about to a clean Catalina install?

As always, any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bruno

Long story short, I killed out my existing LGA 1156 build and am looking to build a new system. If anyone wants a recap of how that happened, I detail my problems with upgrading to Catalina from Mojave here and how I killed my system here.

I know there is no such thing as a 100% trouble-free Hackintosh build, and I am researching the forums now looking for a successful build to emulate, but more than just a successful build, I am looking for advice on a build that will let me boot up with these salvaged parts:

SATA DVD Drive

My plan is use these salvaged parts on a new build, do a clean install of Mojave 10.14.6 using Unibeast/Multibeast, and then take that working EFI and replace the working EFI on the salvaged HDD. Theoretically, this should work and put me right back where I left off, right? Or am I missing something?

Yes, that should work if Mojave works with the new hardware, such as a 9th generation Intel system like mine. I always install once on a "easy-to-install" system and then clone the OS to whatever system I need.

If I am wrong about swapping the EFI partitions, what is the best way to get my salvaged Mojave 10.14.6 HDD back up and running? Can I use Migration Assistant to bring everything over to a clean Mojave Install? What about to a clean Catalina install?

Thanks,

Bruno

I have not used Migration Assistant myself so can't say. You should be able to install Catalina to a 9th generation Intel system.

Your graphics card is supported on Mojave and Catalina so if you get a motherboard with a chipset based on 9th generation Intel hardware (B365 / H370 / Z390), a 9th generation Intel CPU (i3/i5/i7/i9 9xxx) and new DDR4 RAM it should work with Mojave and Catalina. See the Buyer's Guide for some suggestions.

Yes, that should work if Mojave works with the new hardware, such as a 9th generation Intel system like mine. I always install once on a "easy-to-install" system and then clone the OS to whatever system I need.

I have not used Migration Assistant myself so can't say. You should be able to install Catalina to a 9th generation Intel system.

Your graphics card is supported on Mojave and Catalina so if you get a motherboard with a chipset based on 9th generation Intel hardware (B365 / H370 / Z390), a 9th generation Intel CPU (i3/i5/i7/i9 9xxx) and new DDR4 RAM it should work with Mojave and Catalina. See the Buyer's Guide for some suggestions.

Thanks so much for the reply! Yes, I am currently trying to decide between a Z390 UD, H370 HD3, and a H370M DS3H MB. All are currently between $105-$120 on Amazon. I will verify that the MB I decide on worked on Mojave before purchasing.

Both the H370 boards have a USB-C type port; does anyone know if these are usable in macOS?

Also looking the H370 boards are listed as 8th gen boards; will a 9th gen chip work with these?

Thanks again,

Bruno

Thanks so much for the reply! Yes, I am currently trying to decide between a Z390 UD, H370 HD3, and a H370M DS3H MB. All are currently between $105-$120 on Amazon. I will verify that the MB I decide on worked on Mojave before purchasing.

Both the H370 boards have a USB-C type port; does anyone know if these are usable in macOS?

Also looking the H370 boards are listed as 8th gen boards; will a 9th gen chip work with these?

Thanks again,

Bruno

H370 motherboards will work with 9th generation Intel CPUs provided that the BIOS has been upgraded to support them. Currently sold motherboards should have upgraded BIOS installed.

The USB-C ports should be usable, but do not expect Thunderbolt 3 functions since the motherboards don't have Thunderbolt 3 hardware on them.

SATA DVD Drive

Thanks,

Bruno
Depending on where you are in the world the cost of z370/390 8/9th gen stuff and Z490/10th gen stuff are similar. However, I built a system a year or so ago for a buddy using the H370 HD3 motherboard. He said still going strong with no issues but he uses it for music production and what was installed when it was built is what is installed today with no upgrades. It also is not allowed on the internet something he says degrades the integrity of the system.

H370 motherboards will work with 9th generation Intel CPUs provided that the BIOS has been upgraded to support them. Currently sold motherboards should have upgraded BIOS installed.

The USB-C ports should be usable, but do not expect Thunderbolt 3 functions since the motherboards don't have Thunderbolt 3 hardware on them.
Thanks for the info. I have narrowed down my choices to the following:

CPU - Intel Core i7-9700K ($220)
MB - Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming ($105) or Gigabyte H370 HD3 ($115)
RAM - Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 ($60)

I still have a few questions I'm hoping someone can answer:
  • For the i7-9700K CPU, can I use my existing Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU cooler? It seems to be exactly the same cooler as the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo which is compatible with the LGA1151 MB. I've read that the i7-9700K gets hot and that it would be better to use a water cooler for this CPU. Does it matter that I won't be overclocking the CPU? Is this CPU cooler enough, or do I need a more robust option? If so, any recommendations?

• One of the main reasons that I am choosing between the Z390 M Gaming and the H370 HD3 is that they both have support for USB3.1 Gen 2. Are Gen 2 speeds (10Gbps) supported in macOS? Or are the USB 3.1 ports limited to Gen 1 speeds (5Gbps)?
Also, I get that macOS limits the USB ports to 15 and that I have to turn on/off the ports that I want to use, but if each external USB port has both a USB 3.1 and USB 2 controller and I turn off the USB 2 controller to that port, will that port function only as a USB 3.1 port? I won't be able to use USB 2 on that port, only USB 3.1?​

• Finally, with regards to the RAM, is it ok to use a single stick of 16GB DDR4 RAM? Or do I need to install RAM in pairs? For example, if I want 16GB of RAM, should I install 2 x 8GB DDR4 RAM sticks instead of a single 16GB DDR4 RAM stick?

Thanks again for the info, it's been a great help. I loved my 11 year old GA-P55M-UD2 system, but I'm excited to upgrade!

Bruno

Thanks for the info. I have narrowed down my choices to the following:

CPU - Intel Core i7-9700K ($220)
MB - Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming ($105) or Gigabyte H370 HD3 ($115)
RAM - Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 ($60)

I still have a few questions I'm hoping someone can answer:
  • For the i7-9700K CPU, can I use my existing Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU cooler? It seems to be exactly the same cooler as the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo which is compatible with the LGA1151 MB. I've read that the i7-9700K gets hot and that it would be better to use a water cooler for this CPU. Does it matter that I won't be overclocking the CPU? Is this CPU cooler enough, or do I need a more robust option? If so, any recommendations?

• One of the main reasons that I am choosing between the Z390 M Gaming and the H370 HD3 is that they both have support for USB3.1 Gen 2. Are Gen 2 speeds (10Gbps) supported in macOS? Or are the USB 3.1 ports limited to Gen 1 speeds (5Gbps)?
Also, I get that macOS limits the USB ports to 15 and that I have to turn on/off the ports that I want to use, but if each external USB port has both a USB 3.1 and USB 2 controller and I turn off the USB 2 controller to that port, will that port function only as a USB 3.1 port? I won't be able to use USB 2 on that port, only USB 3.1?​

• Finally, with regards to the RAM, is it ok to use a single stick of 16GB DDR4 RAM? Or do I need to install RAM in pairs? For example, if I want 16GB of RAM, should I install 2 x 8GB DDR4 RAM sticks instead of a single 16GB DDR4 RAM stick?

Thanks again for the info, it's been a great help. I loved my 11 year old GA-P55M-UD2 system, but I'm excited to upgrade!

Bruno
(1) Yes, you can use that cooler. I use a similar Hyper 212 cooler myself in my main system (i7 9700KF) but I have not stressed the CPU myself so I have no idea if the cooler can handle it if the CPU is stressed.

(3) You can use a single stick of RAM if you insist, but it is better to use 2 matching sticks for a dual channel configuration as the performance is supposedly better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back