i5-10500
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Don't pull out that credit card to buy the $1599 Mac Studio Display just yet !

You can get something from LG that has better color accuracy, a faster response time and a native 120Hz refresh rate via HDMI 2.1 inputs. All for only $1,497. It is 48" on the diagonal compared to 27" for the disappointing Mac Studio Display. Starting with the iPhone X, some of the more expensive iPhones came with OLED displays because they're the best available. Once the iPhone 12 arrived every phone got OLED.

Short answer: OLED is much better than LCD. Why? Because LCD displays require a backlight panel as big as the display itself to be lit. This means the entire LCD display is lit at all times even if only one portion of the display needs to be. An OLED display, on the other hand, doesn’t require any backlight. Instead, each pixel has a small amount of organic material that glows when an electrical current flows through it. This means each pixel can light up individually. OLED displays, because they don’t require a backlight, means that they are more power-efficient, so your phone’s battery lasts longer. Also, not having a backlight means the phone itself can be thinner.

This comparatively huge LG C2 OLED TV gives you the blackest blacks and also a great 120Hz gaming experience.

I suppose Apple couldn't offer Mini-LED and ProMotion in the Studio Display yet due to materials shortages and higher prices. So instead of selling another "out of reach for most" display like the XDR, they stayed with standard IPS LCD. They added a webcam and good internal speakers to distinguish it from the older LG 5K monitor.
Screen Shot 9.jpg

Maybe it will be an option later on but the price of their display will go up a lot if they offer those two things. The Studio display is still good, just not great, for the price you're paying.

One downside for some people is the size of the 48" C2. If your desk just isn't big enough, there's no way you could use one. There is also a 42" version of the LG C2 coming this May. Price is $100 less. If LG would only offer a 32" version for about 1,000 USD, it would be perfect. I don't believe they'll ever offer one that small.

Put the hundred and two dollar savings toward a 4K logitech webcam and you're all set.

These LG OLED TVs also save a lot of electricity when you run them 5+ hours per day.
1649887374482.png

Here's how the C2 OLED looks from the side.

1649446981832.png

1649887419640.png

Last edited:

Last edited:
The 2021 C1 48" model is on sale for $997 at Newegg. That is a really great deal for an OLED of this size. If you have a higher end graphics card with HDMI 2.1 and are into gaming this is a can't miss deal for you.

https://www.newegg.com/lg-c1-48/p/N82E16889007770?

Here's one reviewers insights:

I had a perfectly working 49" LG Nanocell but I had always wished it had HDMI 2.1 inputs as I have both PS5's and Xbox Series X. There was also a slight bit of edge light bleed coming from the bottom which in my opinion got a little worse over time. The new C1 OLED is crisper, obviously no light bleed, and blacks are, well, black. It also allows for vision gaming, full 120hz refresh rates and both my next gen consoles are loving it. It's a gorgeous picture so if you are on the fence, you won't regret it. Built-in apps are zippier than on the Nanocell by a little, and work flawlessly.

Last edited:
don't buy a pure hdmi tv/monitor for macOS for now. it can only achieve hdmi2.0 standard. if you wanna a oled tv, try gigabyte fo48u (with dp port)

it can only achieve hdmi2.0 standard
MacOS doesn't have to be run at a full 4K resolution. Most people will scale it to something like 1440p or 1080p when using this as a monitor. Gaming at 120Hz can be done with an Xbox or Playstation console.

Last edited:
Newegg now offers a $150 Visa gift card with purchase. You also get the 4 year "burn in" protection at no extra charge. If you use this as a macOS monitor then make sure to have the screen saver enabled at all times.

Screen Shot.jpg

The 2021 version above is again on sale with extras.
I should also note that the 48" 2022 model uses the same base as the 2021 model and they weigh the same. The Digital Trends reviewer on YT shows the 55" 2022 model which has the smaller base and weighs a lot less than the 48" version. Here never mentions that the 48" 2022 model uses the older larger 33" base. The video from "all things tech" shows the 48" 2022 model but not everyone will watch that.

Screen Shot 2.jpg

Last edited:

The 42" C2 version is in stock at Amazon.com I would get this one to use as a monitor. 48" is too big imo. It's the #1 best seller on Amazon now. It's also half the weight of the 48" models. Just over 20 lbs. If you scale down the 4K resolution and sit 2-3 feet back from it, then it works well as a hackintosh monitor.

Screen Shot 1.jpg

1652966514367.png

Last edited:
You might be wondering what WiSA ready means. Here's a video showing how to connect a surround sound system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back