Contribute
Register

Lenovo X220

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kouran,

Thanks, that is very helpful!!

About installing from a DVD drive... I don't have one (internal nor external), but I do have 2 USB keys (or will in 2 days).

And about Chameleon, is that the same as Chimera?

And lastly, can I have a triple boot (Linux / Win 7 / OSX) with Chimera? I'm not going to try that first, but I'm wondering if that would be possible. I hear that both Win and OSX don't like not being the only OS on a disk.

Thanks again and I can't wait til I can try this out!

Best,

William

I got Lion installed on my x220. Everything is working except wifi, sleep and card reader.

One known issue with x220 is that its UEFI firmware won't boot from GPT partition. So if you're following Tony's guide, after installation you won't be able to boot without iboot.

I had to attach my x220 hard drive to a desktop that's running Snow Leopard, create GPT partition and install SL with iboot+Multibeast, upgrade to Lion with xmove+Multibeast, restore the lion partition to a usb hard drive, remove GPT partition and re-partition to MBR on x220, restore the partition from usb hard drive back to x220, install Chimera again.

Dear Napbird,

Would you please post step by step instructions on how to do this please? I am not certain how to attach my x220 hard drive to a desktop that's running Snow Leopard and then create GPT partition and install SL with iboot+Multibeast.

Can this desktop be a mac or must it be a hackintosh? How do I install the SL on the GPT partition?

Please please please enlighten me. I have been looking for the answer for a long long time.

Thanks!

Actual working solution for me:

• Attach x220 hard drive to a desktop running SL Hackintosh
    Under that desktop run disk utility to partition x220 in GPT
    Install SL with iboot and SL DVD onto x220 GPT partition (follow Tony's guide)
    Boot from x220 GPT partition, install Multibeast with easybeast and chimera bootloader option
    Install updatehelper then update to 10.6.8, rerun multibeast system utility before reboot
    Prepare Lion with xMove to an small Installer partition on a different hard drive
    Boot from the Installer partition and install Lion onto x220 GPT partition
    Boot from x220 GPT partition and run multibeast-4.0.2 for lion and chimera bootloader
    Verify booting from x220 GPT partition
    If working, reboot from original desktop SL partition and restore partition from the x220 GPT partition to an new partition on a different hard drive
    Repartition x220 hard drive to MBR, and restore Lion from the new partition back to x220 MBR partition
    Put back x220 hard drive to x220 and test booting from its MBR partition

Post-installation
    For audio to work, use VoodooHDA from Multibeast for Lion and use System Utility fix the permission.
    For battery, use VoodooBattery for Lion kext.
    Use Multibeast to install Voodoo PS/2 Controller and Trackpad to enable x220 trackpad
    Use hnak's AppleIntelE100e kext from Multibeast to enable the LAN
    Use Macbook Pro8,1 system definition
    64-bit kernel does not work with 32-bit kext including Voodoos
    Use KernelCache option will remove Extention.mkext from both E/E and S/L/E, and use kernelcache generated in /S/L/Cache/com.apple.kext.cache/Startup

Just to clarify, if you have a real mac, you could save yourself time by restoring the partition from your mac to x220 hard drive, then use multibeast to install bootloader and other essential things with easybeast option. But be careful, change the installation destination in multibeast to x220 hard drive, not your mac hard drive. Also you need extra partitions on your mac or hackitosh desktop for:
1. the partition to restore x220's GPT partition to
2. small (10GB) installer partition for Lion

Thanks napbird for all the info! I wonder, is there no way to do this without going through the SL installation first?

I have it installed from a USB stick direct to lion. I'm gonna post more details soon in the lion install sub-forum. I'm looking at possibility of File Vault atm, but I doubt it's possible since the UEFI won't boot GPT it seems :(

EDIT: Also, does anyone have an edited DSDT for this machine? I'd be grateful.

Napbird, thank you so much for the instructions.

I was only able to update to 10.6.7. Updating to 10.6.8 crashes the system each time.

I tried your method of restoring an image of 10.6.7 to an external drive via my mac pro and then restoring the image back to a MBR X220 hard drive. Then after installing the multibeast, the system would boot and hang at the white apple logo. When I installed the multibeast, all I chose were Easybeast and system utilities.

Is anyone able to upload their image of a working Lion on a X220 directly to a file sharing website so that the rest can just download and restore? Would this solve everyone's problem?

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks once again.

Thanks a lot for the tips! I will try this method,... really a shame uefi can't boot gpt...

Just one clarification, when you talk about restoring the lion partition to the hard drive, do you mean just copy all the files back onto the freshly formatted drive, or do you mean we need to use the "restore" feature from the mac os installer?

Thanks again
Cheers

To clarify, UEFI can boot GPT! But I don't know how/if it's possible to boot osx from it one way or another. What doesn't support GPT is BIOS Legacy mode of the UEFI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back