Contribute
Register

Lenovo W530 sierra 10.12.4 issues (HD4000)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z97-a
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 970
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
  2. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi Forum (and Rehabman),

So i've sold of my ancient machines (Lenovo T61 and X61) and have gotten a W530 (using HD4000 gpu + nvidia K1000m). While i understand that the Nvidia discrete gpu is off limits for osx, i have had some successes (and issues) with the HD4000 igpu.

I'm currently running Sierra 10.12.2 on the W530 (no major issues at all). I had to specify GraphicsEnabler=No at installation time and later on (while installing Clover) using ig-platform-id=x01660003 for having the installation recognising the 1.5gb of VRAM of the IGPU (im having the FHD display: 1920x1080). No worries.

But when trying to upgrade Sierra from 12.2 to 12.4, i can't get it to boot to OSX in any way. Its getting stuck in some ACPI error and is getting stuck at this stage. Is anyone here running a W530 on 10.12.4 and would care to tell how you managed to run the update via the app-store?

Hi Forum (and Rehabman),

So i've sold of my ancient machines (Lenovo T61 and X61) and have gotten a W530 (using HD4000 gpu + nvidia K1000m). While i understand that the Nvidia discrete gpu is off limits for osx, i have had some successes (and issues) with the HD4000 igpu.

I'm currently running Sierra 10.12.2 on the W530 (no major issues at all). I had to specify GraphicsEnabler=No at installation time and later on (while installing Clover) using ig-platform-id=x01660003 for having the installation recognising the 1.5gb of VRAM of the IGPU (im having the FHD display: 1920x1080). No worries.

But when trying to upgrade Sierra from 12.2 to 12.4, i can't get it to boot to OSX in any way. Its getting stuck in some ACPI error and is getting stuck at this stage. Is anyone here running a W530 on 10.12.4 and would care to tell how you managed to run the update via the app-store?

Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting"
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

I ended up with downloading 12.4 (full) and re-created the unibeast stick using that (using the latest available unibeast) and could reinstall everything nicely (including HD4000 working with ig-platform-id 0x01660004 (giving me 1.5gb vram), but despite installing the ps2voodoo package for keyboard/mouse, i couldn't get those to work (tried several times, cleaing up between each try). So after making a new installation once more using this same stick and adding the ps2voodoo pack, it worked once again. A little bit odd, but since it works now... :)

A more generic question. I know it has been asked in the past, but perhaps things have changed in recent times:

Is there a way to get (only) the nvidia quadro gpu working in osx? I don't mean anything Optimus, but the pure, discrete Nvidia gpu? I can disable any os-awareness of optimus as well as tell the machine to use discrete/nvidia exclusively (i.e no igpu involved). When i try to run it like this, i never reach the desktop (tried with nvidia-web-drivers + inject nvidia/without inject nvidia, without nvidia-web-drivers + same option as above). Are there any ig-platform settings for nvidia?

I did try to use gpu-z to exctract my nvidia rom, but it came up with some error when i did that (thinking that i could utilize the video rom-file in clover somehow).

I ended up with downloading 12.4 (full) and re-created the unibeast stick using that (using the latest available unibeast) and could reinstall everything nicely (including HD4000 working with ig-platform-id 0x01660004 (giving me 1.5gb vram), but despite installing the ps2voodoo package for keyboard/mouse, i couldn't get those to work (tried several times, cleaing up between each try). So after making a new installation once more using this same stick and adding the ps2voodoo pack, it worked once again. A little bit odd, but since it works now... :)

A more generic question. I know it has been asked in the past, but perhaps things have changed in recent times:

Is there a way to get (only) the nvidia quadro gpu working in osx? I don't mean anything Optimus, but the pure, discrete Nvidia gpu? I can disable any os-awareness of optimus as well as tell the machine to use discrete/nvidia exclusively (i.e no igpu involved). When i try to run it like this, i never reach the desktop (tried with nvidia-web-drivers + inject nvidia/without inject nvidia, without nvidia-web-drivers + same option as above). Are there any ig-platform settings for nvidia?

I did try to use gpu-z to exctract my nvidia rom, but it came up with some error when i did that (thinking that i could utilize the video rom-file in clover somehow).
if your graphics is optimus, then no, only your intel will work

if you have no intel graphics but only Nvidia, then yes

Got it. Thanks feartech. I'll abandon that thought then :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back