Contribute
Register

Lenovo U310 - Mavericks Upgrade [WIP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It works, I'm in legacy mode, but it is working without the Fn key but not with.. oddly enough.. I'm not touching that wifi key! (thats the f5 lol)

It works, I'm in legacy mode, but it is working without the Fn key but not with.. oddly enough.. I'm not touching that wifi key! (thats the f5 lol)

Yes you can add more if you want, but the volume and brightness was all I used so that's all I remapped. The reason you have to switch to the legacy mode is F11 and F12 aren't picked up by OSX but Fn+F11 and Fn+F12 are. The bold is how it should be.

Ok here are the keyboard mappings so that you can control brightness with the default Lenovo keys. Add this under the "Custom ADB Map" section inside Rehabman's kext in this file:

VoodooPS2Controller.kext\Contents\PlugIns\VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext\Contents\Info.plist

<string>57=6b</string>
<string>58=71</string>
<string>3b=4a</string>
<string>3c=49</string>
<string>3d=48</string>

Also make sure your "Hotkey" setting is set to "Legacy" in the BIOS. It won't work otherwise.

To recap brightness setup:
-Brightness Fix patch inside DSDT
-ACPIBacklight.kext installed
-Edited Rehabman's kext for proper button controls (here)

I will attach the already edited KEXT if you are too lazy to do it yourself. Just install this, repair perms and clear cache.

View attachment 72773

Thanks. Is legacy mode when you have to hit Fn and to get Fn+key? Or just key to get Fn+key?

Thanks. Is legacy mode when you have to hit Fn and to get Fn+key? Or just key to get Fn+key?

Instead of hitting Fn+F2 to get to bios, you need to hit just F2 (As an example). Unfortunately this is needed if you want brightness control with stock buttons, because otherwise it isn't picked up by OSX.

Instead of hitting Fn+F2 to get to bios, you need to hit just F2 (As an example). Unfortunately this is needed if you want brightness control with stock buttons, because otherwise it isn't picked up by OSX.

cool that's my default setting now. It's been awhile since I've played with BIOS settings.

actually looking at the manual, I think I have it set as hotkey mode. will play with it tonight

legacy mode is [fn+fkey] vs. hotkey mode [fkey]

I'm already in legacy mode. I need my f-keys are you kidding me? They are fn essential :geek:

How did you set this up because I'm a bit confused by the results, I think I expected something different. With your kext loaded I now have Mute, Vol.Up, Vol.Down, Bright.Up, Bright.Down using only the respective [fkey](F1, F2, F3, F11, F12).

With the "vanilla" kext [fn+f1-f3] had working audio control only with the [fn] in combination with [fkey].

Now I have both. Works with the [fn+fkey] and with only [fkey]; with the exception of brightness since those are going to [fn+f15(scrlk)/f16(pause)] and still working. That is to say [fn+pause] is equivalent to F12, and that F1 is equivalent to [fn+F1].

I guess what I'm getting at it, you've mapped this so that they are always hotkeys? Was that the only way to map it or your preference? I would prefer to map it the other way to require both keys to be pressed [fn+fkey] is there any issue with doing so?

I probably just need to go back and read what you and rehabman said about it..

Its kind of a funny situation because you've put it into legacy mode, but in the OS turned it into hotkey mode. Which is more or less how it should be anyway, can't the operating system handle some hotkeys why is the bios involved? I wish I could take the hotkeys out of the bios completely and just give them to the OS; A bios seems like a problematic place for them to be anyway....

Ok here are the keyboard mappings so that you can control brightness with the default Lenovo keys. Add this under the "Custom ADB Map" section inside Rehabman's kext in this file:

VoodooPS2Controller.kext\Contents\PlugIns\VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext\Contents\Info.plist

<string>57=6b</string>
<string>58=71</string>
<string>3b=4a</string>
<string>3c=49</string>
<string>3d=48</string>

Also make sure your "Hotkey" setting is set to "Legacy" in the BIOS. It won't work otherwise.

To recap brightness setup:
-Brightness Fix patch inside DSDT
-ACPIBacklight.kext installed
-Edited Rehabman's kext for proper button controls (here)

I will attach the already edited KEXT if you are too lazy to do it yourself. Just install this, repair perms and clear cache.

View attachment 72773

Hey XMYUKON, so I installed the kext modified file (lazy I know :)) and repaired permission and restarted and put it on "legacy" mode. However, when I increase/decrease brightness in any direction I only get three increments changes and then I lose fn of brightness and I only get the sun symbol upon pressing either button with no effect of increase or decrease, it is just stuck right at the middle. This is fixed when I restart only to get the same result only 3 taps of the key in any direction. Note: for some reason whether it is working or not the increments show as half-increment not full like on a regular mac. This is a U310 which is identical to your system I believe. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Hey XMYUKON, so I installed the kext modified file (lazy I know :)) and repaired permission and restarted and put it on "legacy" mode. However, when I increase/decrease brightness in any direction I only get three increments changes and then I lose fn of brightness and I only get the sun symbol upon pressing either button with no effect of increase or decrease, it is just stuck right at the middle. This is fixed when I restart only to get the same result only 3 taps of the key in any direction. Note: for some reason whether it is working or not the increments show as half-increment not full like on a regular mac. This is a U310 which is identical to your system I believe. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

That sounds like an unrelated issue. All this does is move the brightness adjust keys from Fn+Scroll Lock and Fn+Page Down to Fn+F11 and Fn+F12. The purpose of legacy mode is so you don't have to hold down Fn to adjust the key. do you have ACPIBacklight.kext installed, and Brightness Fix patch in your DSDT? You also need your graphics working.

Does the brightness slider in SysPrefs -> Displays exhibit the same behavior? Did you install ACPIBacklight.kext?

I guess what I'm getting at it, you've mapped this so that they are always hotkeys? Was that the only way to map it or your preference? I would prefer to map it the other way to require both keys to be pressed [fn+fkey] is there any issue with doing so?

I probably just need to go back and read what you and rehabman said about it..

Its kind of a funny situation because you've put it into legacy mode, but in the OS turned it into hotkey mode. Which is more or less how it should be anyway, can't the operating system handle some hotkeys why is the bios involved? I wish I could take the hotkeys out of the bios completely and just give them to the OS; A bios seems like a problematic place for them to be anyway....

OK, here is the deal. Vanilla kext:

Hotkey mode:
F1, F2 and F3 change volume fine. F11 and F12 are not picked up by OSX and therefore cannot be mapped to anything. If you press them, the BIOS brightness is adjusted because OsX dousn't see those keys.
Legacy:
Fn+F1, Fn+F2, Fn+F3 change the volume. Fn+F11 and Fn+F12 are not picked up by OSX. This is the opposite of hot key mode obviously.

What my keyboard edit does is it maps it so F11 and 12 change the brightness in legacy mode (mapped to fn+f11 and fn+f12), and Fn+F1, Fn+F2, Fn+F3 is mapped to audio audio controls, where in legacy mode you don't need to hold down Fn and use F1, F2,f3.

NOW: if you use my kext in hot key mode, f11 and F12 do nothing. You need to press fn+f11 and Fn+f12 to adjust brightness. Audio will work either way because that's how I mapped it, I did not switch the audio keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back