Contribute
Register

Lenovo ThinkPad X230 (Tablet) compatibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn´t cause anything :)

Does your lid work for sleep? DSDT code for LID is similar to the DSDT code for sleep button (SLPB), so I was wondering if both do not work. You might have to do some debugging in there...

used the patch, compiled dsdt and installed the kext. Working perfectly after a reboot Even the key mapping is working.

I check my dsdt for any occurences of "GFX0" or "IGPU" couldn't find either of them, but as said above, the brightness controls work.

Your DSDT uses 'VID'. The rename patch also does that rename... You will get errors after applying the "Brightness fix (HD3000/HD4000)" without the rename. You must have done the "Brightness Fix" patch instead.

It could be that your native DSDT brightness methods actually work, so you don't need the full patch. But try with the full patch, I'd be interested in how it is on your computer.

Post ioreg so I can take a look, I don't see any methods for ACPIBacklight to use, so it is probably failing, and you're using native brightness via "Brightness Fix"/AppleBacklight.

Note: You want to rename VID to IGPU ("Rename GFX0 to IGPU") as it will give you better power management.

I lost track point support somewhere on the way, but that was already before the brightness patch, so it was certainly not the cause.

If you didn't make any changes to ps2 drivers, then try EC reset: Shutdown, remove all power sources, hold power button 30 sec, put everything back & restart.

back again, took me some time since I was installing windows 7 on the other partition and configured dual boot.
Also played around with an USB Wifi dongle (works quite well with the supplied driver, except that the device shows up as a "normal" ethernet card in OS X, so it can only be configured with the included app but not OS X's own wifi administration tool. Could be worse though.

I also tried working with express cards, I have a delock express card to eSata II adapter which works just fine after installing the chipsets driver.
Then I have another xpress card to firewire 800 card with TI chipset (at least the PCI-to-PCI bridge in this adapter is from TI) which is only recognised as PCI-to-PCI bridge, but nothing more. Even in "About This Mac" OS X says that no express card is installed (the delock card showed up there). DPCI manager shows the card as "104C, 823E, 0000, 0000, Texas Instruments, XIO2213A/B/XIO2221 PCI Express to PCI Bridge [Cheetah Express]" and says that "IOPCIFamily.kext" is used for this device.
Still trying to find drivers for the actual Firewire chipset in the card.

Does your lid work for sleep? DSDT code for LID is similar to the DSDT code for sleep button (SLPB), so I was wondering if both do not work. You might have to do some debugging in there....
Closing lid is causing sleep mode, so that works fine.
One thing I noticed: when I go into sleep mode, then power up again, the power button keeps pulsating all the time.

Your DSDT uses 'VID'. The rename patch also does that rename... You will get errors after applying the "Brightness fix (HD3000/HD4000)" without the rename. You must have done the "Brightness Fix" patch instead.
Actually I am quite sure I used the HD4000 patch (graphics_PNLF.txt as well as graphics_HD4K_low.txt). But actually both seem not to have the rename regexp in there. And also the rename patch... but anyway I applied the "graphics_Rename-GFX0.txt" again, now all occurrences of "VID" are gone. Just compiled and will reboot now :) Let's see if you hear back from me.

It could be that your native DSDT brightness methods actually work, so you don't need the full patch. But try with the full patch, I'd be interested in how it is on your computer.

Post ioreg so I can take a look, I don't see any methods for ACPIBacklight to use, so it is probably failing, and you're using native brightness via "Brightness Fix"/AppleBacklight.
See attached file (before booting with VID-replaced DSDT!)
Note: You want to rename VID to IGPU ("Rename GFX0 to IGPU") as it will give you better power management.
OK, see above. Need to reboot now.

If you didn't make any changes to ps2 drivers, then try EC reset: Shutdown, remove all power sources, hold power button 30 sec, put everything back & restart.
It's a bit strange, sometime the track point works, sometimes it doesn't. I did not yet get the exact "rules" for this behavious, since I just a usb mouse most of the time, so I don't always notice if the track point is gone again.
Just did a cold start and the track point works.

Attachments

• PaulMacBookPro.ioreg.zip
    369 KB · Views: 99
back from reboot. After first reboot I lost sound...now after second reboot (without chaining anything) it is back.
But I noticed that the sound controls seem to lag a lot. When I move the slider in any volume control of the OS, there is a noticeable delay in the "pop"-sound (was there already before the patch btw.)

Attached the latest ioreg.

Attachments

• PaulMacBookPro_afterVidReplacePatch.ioreg.zip
    370.8 KB · Views: 83
Closing lid is causing sleep mode, so that works fine.
One thing I noticed: when I go into sleep mode, then power up again, the power button keeps pulsating all the time.

I've heard of someone having that problem with a Lenovo U310...

Actually I am quite sure I used the HD4000 patch (graphics_PNLF.txt as well as graphics_HD4K_low.txt). But actually both seem not to have the rename regexp in there. And also the rename patch... but anyway I applied the "graphics_Rename-GFX0.txt" again, now all occurrences of "VID" are gone. Just compiled and will reboot now :) Let's see if you hear back from me.

"Brightness Fix" -> graphics_PNLF.txt
"Brightness Fix (HD3000/HD4000) -> graphics_PNLF_ivy_sandy.txt

Make sure you read the README and have MaciASL properly setup. It doesn't sound like you have.

See attached file (before booting with VID-replaced DSDT!)

Checked... and yes, it is exactly as I stated.

I've heard of someone having that problem with a Lenovo U310...
"Brightness Fix" -> graphics_PNLF.txt
"Brightness Fix (HD3000/HD4000) -> graphics_PNLF_ivy_sandy.txt

Make sure you read the README and have MaciASL properly setup. It doesn't sound like you have.
Ok, I configured MaciASL according to the guide I found here on the forum, basically set Compiler to ACPI 5.0 and added you repo "https://raw.github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch/master".

Then patched DSDT with the above mentioned patches and compiled (after each patch) and reboot.
Indeed the backlight control seams more linear now and fades out in the last step to zero. Looking good I guess.

In regards to the lowest P-States I am not sure if they are correct, since 12 (= 1,19Ghz according to HWMonitor) is the lowest it goes, I checked the data sheet of the processor:

i7-3520M / TDP 35 / LPM Frequency 1200 MHz / IA Frequency Range 2.9 GHz up to 3.6 GHz / GT Frequency Range 650 MHz up to 1250 MHz

According to DPCIManager I get the following p-states when monitoring for a bit:
P States: 12, 22, 29, 30, 31, 33, 34
I ran GeekBench to put some pressure on the CPU but the highest it would go according to DPCIManager was 34, HWMonitor showed me 35 though. But none of the too ever showed 36 which probably should be possible for this cpu as well.
On the other side, when I close almost all apps (didn't stop all unneeded services though), the lowest is still 12, which seems a bit high for idling around. According to Activity Monitor it idles 98,9% of the time.

I also found this message in the DPCIManager P-State log once:
19/01/14 13:05:18, P States: I/O error, throttling to 9Hz

The sound delay issue still persists, I use VooDooHDA at the moment it seems according to what I can read from the registry information.

Trackpoint (while the touchpad is working) is not working at the moment.

Attached once more my registry.

Attachments

• PaulMacBookPro_afterHD4KpatchForBacklightControl.ioreg.zip
    381 KB · Views: 92
Ok, I configured MaciASL according to the guide I found here on the forum, basically set Compiler to ACPI 5.0 and added you repo "https://raw.github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch/master".

You used the wrong guide. The guide is here (in the README): https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch. ACPI 4.0 is usually better.

Then patched DSDT with the above mentioned patches and compiled (after each patch) and reboot.
Indeed the backlight control seams more linear now and fades out in the last step to zero. Looking good I guess.

Sounds like you have it working correctly. The smooth transitions are part of my ACPIBacklight.kext and DSDT patches.

In regards to the lowest P-States I am not sure if they are correct, since 12 (= 1,19Ghz according to HWMonitor) is the lowest it goes, I checked the data sheet of the processor:

i7-3520M / TDP 35 / LPM Frequency 1200 MHz / IA Frequency Range 2.9 GHz up to 3.6 GHz / GT Frequency Range 650 MHz up to 1250 MHz

According to DPCIManager I get the following p-states when monitoring for a bit:
P States: 12, 22, 29, 30, 31, 33, 34
I ran GeekBench to put some pressure on the CPU but the highest it would go according to DPCIManager was 34, HWMonitor showed me 35 though. But none of the too ever showed 36 which probably should be possible for this cpu as well.

Per Intel specs, x35 and x36 are only possible when there is only one core active, which is rare in OS X.

On the other side, when I close almost all apps (didn't stop all unneeded services though), the lowest is still 12, which seems a bit high for idling around. According to Activity Monitor it idles 98,9% of the time.

Your CPU is LFM x12, so it is correct.

I also found this message in the DPCIManager P-State log once:
19/01/14 13:05:18, P States: I/O error, throttling to 9Hz

It is normal.

The sound delay issue still persists, I use VooDooHDA at the moment it seems according to what I can read from the registry information.

You will have better results with patched AppleHDA.

Trackpoint (while the touchpad is working) is not working at the moment.

Was it working before? Have you done EC reset lately?

You used the wrong guide. The guide is here (in the README): https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch. ACPI 4.0 is usually better.
Ok, downloaded your version, and will use it from now on and also with compiler style v4.

Sounds like you have it working correctly. The smooth transitions are part of my ACPIBacklight.kext and DSDT patches.

Per Intel specs, x35 and x36 are only possible when there is only one core active, which is rare in OS X.

Your CPU is LFM x12, so it is correct.

It is normal.
Great, so the brightness and speed stepping controls are working just fine now then :) glad that this is completed.

You will have better results with patched AppleHDA.
Ok, will check on finding an AppleHDA for Audio Realtek AL269 or follow one of the patching guides on the forum and do it myself.

Was it working before? Have you done EC reset lately?
It was working before indeed. I also did an EC reset as advised earlier...didn't help, now I did another EC reset and now it works again :) but I still fear that it will change again, I'll have to investigate that a bit further, since sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

One strange thing is also, that I lost support for some USB2.0 devices that worked just fine before (two USB Flash drives and a USB DVD-Drive are not getting recognised anymore as well as an usb 2.0 hub). Unfortunately I did not exactly notice at which step of patching and installing kexts the support got lost.
A usb mouse 2.0, USB 2.0 Wifi Stick and a USB 3.0 Flash drive still fully work on the same usb ports though.

I created an own keyboard layout for the german x230 keyboard using Ukelele, I will attach it, in case anyone is interested (I just had copy to "/Library/Keyboard Layouts" and then select it as input source (it is called "X230German") in system preferences -> keyboard
Probably there is also a default keyboard that is working out of the box, but I just couldn't find it :)

Attachments

• X230German.keylayout.zip
    4 KB · Views: 90
Hi,

I follow this topic with your experiement Paul_k !
Could you tell me if the card reader is working ?

Thanks in advance

One strange thing is also, that I lost support for some USB2.0 devices that worked just fine before (two USB Flash drives and a USB DVD-Drive are not getting recognised anymore as well as an usb 2.0 hub). Unfortunately I did not exactly notice at which step of patching and installing kexts the support got lost.
A usb mouse 2.0, USB 2.0 Wifi Stick and a USB 3.0 Flash drive still fully work on the same usb ports though.

Does your laptop have USB3? What kext are you using for USB3?

Hi,

I follow this topic with your experiement Paul_k !
Could you tell me if the card reader is working ?

Thanks in advance

Hi kikislater, glad to hear someone follows this thread, so at the end all the effort I, and especially RehabMan puts into this thread is also of use for some others.

To answer your question: No, I didn't get it working, but to be honest I am not needing it at the moment.
I see in DPPIManager that it show up as:
1180, E823, 17AA, 21FA, Ricoh Co Ltd, PCIe SDXC/MMC Host Controller
but it seems there is no driver loaded for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back