5. Plus
  6. PowerBook
  7. Quadra
  8. SE
  9. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312792&T

Wonder if this can get OS X 10.8.x up and running. It's just the kind of monster desktop replacement t specs I'm looking for, including some serious nVidia muscle. But I would only get it if turned out to be a good a OS X machine. Windows 8 is a joke IMHO.

i hope it will work on the hardware, i just bought the laptop.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312792&T

Wonder if this can get OS X 10.8.x up and running. It's just the kind of monster desktop replacement t specs I'm looking for, including some serious nVidia muscle. But I would only get it if turned out to be a good a OS X machine. Windows 8 is a joke IMHO.

OS X 10.8 will not work on this laptop yet. It has a Haswell processor on it which is not supported, it may be in the release of 10.8.5.

Also if the laptop has nVidia Optimus, then the dedicated card will not work and you will only be able to use the integrated card. Unless you can find a way to disable to integrated card and just specifically use the dedicated card.

I think it might work rather well with Mavericks, now.

Mavericks supports Haswell natively, so the CPU has no problems.

The Y510p also has the same GFX card as the Retina macbook, and there is reason to believe that Mavericks now supports Optimus, so that might work as well, but if it doesn't, disable the dedicated GFX (you can probably do this in bios), and use integrated graphics to try to install.

Not sure if wifi and sound will work though, you may have to replace the wifi card.

If someone does successfully hackintosh this, it will probably be my next laptop as well.

I think it might work rather well with Mavericks, now.

Mavericks supports Haswell natively, so the CPU has no problems.

The Y510p also has the same GFX card as the Retina macbook, and there is reason to believe that Mavericks now supports Optimus, so that might work as well, but if it doesn't, disable the dedicated GFX (you can probably do this in bios), and use integrated graphics to try to install.

Not sure if wifi and sound will work though, you may have to replace the wifi card.

If someone does successfully hackintosh this, it will probably be my next laptop as well.

OS X does not support Optimus. Apple uses different switching technology...

I actually have this laptop as well, not too sure if the GPU will work. But I do know for a fact that the wireless card in this machine is a Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230, so correct me if I'm wrong, but you'll either have to replace it or get a wireless usb card.

I actually have this laptop as well, not too sure if the GPU will work. But I do know for a fact that the wireless card in this machine is a Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230, so correct me if I'm wrong, but you'll either have to replace it or get a wireless usb card.

Correct. Intel WiFi is not supported in OS X.

I actually have this same laptop as well (except 8gb memory & smaller HDD) and hope to see OS X running on it soon. I understand the WiFi card probably wouldn't be compatible, but I would be fine if a wired connection worked? I hope the dedicated graphics will work. I'll be checking in frequently for any help people can provide.

I was thinking to install 10.9 on my y510 just bought 1 month ago. Is OS X working??

I was thinking to install 10.9 on my y510 just bought 1 month ago. Is OS X working??

Has there been any updates on this? I would like to know what's the status of OSX implementation on this machine.

Thanks in advanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back