Contribute
Register

Lenovo Ideapad U430 - Mavericks

Status
Not open for further replies.
MacBookAir6,x is a good match. Screen resolution doesn't matter much. For the most part it is about CPU/chipset.

Multibeast doesn't have settings for Macbook Air so I went for a Macbook pro 8.1. I used a DSDT you made for another system alltogether which kinda, sorta, maybe was close and it allowed hard drive boot without -x.

I changed the resolution in chameleon.plist to 1600x900x32 and woooo it boots into glorious high res. Nice. Unfortunately is is a bit unstable. Clicking on launchpad causes all the icons to wobble like they are in a blender and nothing opens.

Everything else is stuffed. Superfast system clock. Just can't find how to control that.

Plugging in anything to the USB hangs the system. Tried a USB wifi card but no dice at all. Software installs but wont run and USB card isn't seen. Ethernet not working either.

I have an atheros card which worked on my last S3 build so I'll swop it out and use Rehabman's kexts.

Slow progress but its now a booting, sorta working system.

Multibeast doesn't have settings for Macbook Air so I went for a Macbook pro 8.1. I used a DSDT you made for another system alltogether which kinda, sorta, maybe was close and it allowed hard drive boot without -x.

As you know, using a DSDT from another system is a bad idea.

I changed the resolution in chameleon.plist to 1600x900x32 and woooo it boots into glorious high res. Nice. Unfortunately is is a bit unstable. Clicking on launchpad causes all the icons to wobble like they are in a blender and nothing opens.

Everything else is stuffed. Superfast system clock. Just can't find how to control that.

Use a different boot loader. Clover or Enoch branch of Chameleon are confirmed working as a fix for that. Not sure about the latest Chameleon, I have not seen it confirmed. I know that it is a problem in Chimera for sure.

Plugging in anything to the USB hangs the system. Tried a USB wifi card but no dice at all. Software installs but wont run and USB card isn't seen. Ethernet not working either.

You need to fix the system clock issue first. Drivers depend on accurate timing.

Rehabman, thanks again for all your help on this but I'm going to bail. Going to be much harder than I thought. I learned a lot from the S3 build a while ago but I'm still that monkey with a stick and don't really know enough to get much further.

I installed the Atheros AR5B195 card which worked so well with the S3 but the Lenovo BIOS has blacklisted it and the computer wouldn't boot with it in. I couldn't get the USB wireless adapter or ethernet adapter to work.

The backup I made which I used as a clean start I had installed Chimera and installing Chameleon doesn't work as the log says I need to remove the Chimera boot file, which of course I can't find. That means the system is still running on hyperspeed so I would need to do a complete slate wipe and start over which was a real PIA. So with all the hurdles and no guarantee that I could get the touchscreen to work, which was the main reason for it all, I decided to quit while I still had hair :)

"You haven't seen the last of FuManChu". I'll be back with one that someone else has done some work on and I can at least save myself the early build hassle.

Thanks again.

Rehabman, thanks again for all your help on this but I'm going to bail. Going to be much harder than I thought. I learned a lot from the S3 build a while ago but I'm still that monkey with a stick and don't really know enough to get much further.

Haswell machines are a bit more challenging.

The backup I made which I used as a clean start I had installed Chimera and installing Chameleon doesn't work as the log says I need to remove the Chimera boot file, which of course I can't find.

Something new in the Chameleon installer? Boot file is /boot, not sure why it just would not overwrite...

Haswell machines are a bit more challenging.

Something new in the Chameleon installer? Boot file is /boot, not sure why it just would not overwrite...

Yea, I actually found that and deleted it and reinstalled Chameleon as directed by the log file but still it gave the same error that it was already installed. Head scratcher to say the least. Oh, one other thing probook installer didn't work either.

Yea, I actually found that and deleted it and reinstalled Chameleon as directed by the log file but still it gave the same error that it was already installed. Head scratcher to say the least. Oh, one other thing probook installer didn't work either.

Where is the error coming from? What is the exact error? Not surprising the ProBook Installer does not work on your laptop (portions of it could), the U430 is not an HP ProBook.

FYI: Installer logs are at /var/log/install.log.

I'm not going to be much help as I formatted the SSD, removed it and put the original Windows 8.1 drive back in so the info is gone, but from memory what it said when I installed Chameleon Enoch was that an install log was generated and to read it as it would confirm a good install.

I looked at it and it showed what it did then a message saying something along the lines that "there is a previous bootloader installed and it would still be the boot method. Remove the boot file and rerun the Chameleon installer." Even after I deleted the boot file and the log file I found at the root and rerun Enoch install, the new log file gave the same message. As I said, real head scratcher for me. That's pretty much when I threw in the towel.

Where is the error coming from? What is the exact error? Not surprising the ProBook Installer does not work on your laptop (portions of it could), the U430 is not an HP ProBook.

FYI: Installer logs are at /var/log/install.log.

Hey, I did a quick google search and found this thread - is the consensus that it's possible but a total pain?

Thanks.

Hey, I did a quick google search and found this thread - is the consensus that it's possible but a total pain?

Thanks.

I think it depends on your experience level as to how much pain...

FYI: I have purchased this machine and am making progress in hacking it. Just thought I'd let you guys know.

I bought it because I need a Windows touchscreen machine for dev work. And I thought "Why not attempt a hack".

So far I have it running Mavericks 10.9, full power management, sleep, HD4400, USB3, camera, brightness control. Have still to work on audio, keyboard mapping, card reader (probably won't work), fan/temperature readings, and networking. RealtekRTL8111.kext does not work and will probably have to wait for Mieze to update. The WiFi is Intel, so of course doesn't work -- it will need to be replaced. BIOS may be whitelisted so I may need to patch or do other tricks.

I'll open a new thread when I'm ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back