Contribute
Register

Legacy Logo gets Kernel Panic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
<< need model # >> See Forum Rules !!
CPU
i5 << need model # >> See Forum Rules !!
Graphics
GT 240
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm not using a DSDT file, seeing I can't get my machine to shutdown properly. I'm currently using kext files located at Extra/Extensions and it does the job fairly well.

This is more an annoyance than anything, but I boot with "-v" (verbose mode) to see if everything works ok. Eventually I'd like to boot using the grey Apple screen, but every time I remove the verbose flag I get a kernel panic. I re-insert the verbose flag and after another boot it goes well.

Something I'm missing? My com.apple.Boot.plist uses GraphicEnabler, Graphics Mode, arch=i386 if that's important.

Try rebuilding the /Extra boot caches by using SystemUtilities on Multibeast.

However, I've read that some installs on certain netbooks using a particular set of kexts also had similar problem, which I think was due to kext dependencies not being fully satisfied, hence rebuilding the Extensions.mkext in /Extra (as above) might not help unless you either add additional kexts or change the default way of generating the cache.

If it does not work, might be worth posting the contents of your /Extra/Extension folder.
(Or manually creating the cache using "kextcache" command with high verbose output setting to look for errors).

Tried your suggestion on rebuilding boot caches. A first it seems to have worked, booting a few times successfully with the Apple Grey screen. But then I booted back after a few hours of not suing the computer, and as usual it kernel panicked.

Returned to verbose mode and booted successfully once more.

Here are what's in my Extra/Extensions folder if it helps.

EvOreboot.kext
fakesmc.kext
IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext
IOUSBFamily.kext
JMicron36xATA.kext
LegacyAppleRTC.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

Note that I don't have a patched DSDT as it has problems shutting down properly.

dagger said:
Tried your suggestion on rebuilding boot caches. A first it seems to have worked, booting a few times successfully with the Apple Grey screen. But then I booted back after a few hours of not suing the computer, and as usual it kernel panicked.

Returned to verbose mode and booted successfully once more.

Here are what's in my Extra/Extensions folder if it helps.

EvOreboot.kext
fakesmc.kext
IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext
IOUSBFamily.kext
JMicron36xATA.kext
LegacyAppleRTC.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

Note that I don't have a patched DSDT as it has problems shutting down properly.
Are you using a purchased retail copy of OS X?

Yes I am. Got it for use on my old iMac before it died.

Hmm, I presume all the kexts in /E/E are from the Multibeast CD?

Presume it boots OK if you do a boot with "Ignore Caches" in Chameleon?

Other idea is to delete the Extensions.mkext in /Extra and see what happens then.
(Check you can still boot OK using iBoot before this, so you have a way to get back into the system)

Yes. Kexts are all from Multibeast CD.

Deleted Extensions.mkext from E/E and it boots fine. I find that the KP occurs during cold boot (machine turns on for the first time in a day). So far, without the Extensions.mkext, it boots fine though slow because it has to load all that kext.

dagger said:
Yes. Kexts are all from Multibeast CD.

Deleted Extensions.mkext from E/E and it boots fine. I find that the KP occurs during cold boot (machine turns on for the first time in a day). So far, without the Extensions.mkext, it boots fine though slow because it has to load all that kext.
Is it loading just the /E/E kexts individually, or the whole lot (including ones from /S/L/E?).
Sorry can't remember the way Chameleon handles lack of /E/E/ mkext.

Anyway, you could try to manually recreate the /E/E mkext.
Not sure what the script in Multibeast does, but perhaps there'll be a difference (probably not).
In terminal:
Code:
cd /Extra
sudo kextcache -m Extensions.mkext Extensions
That ought to put all the kexts inside /E/E into the cache, for 10.6.x and both 32 bit and 64bit. But since you are not using any "strange" kexts, I doubt that you'll see any errors (like kexts getting excluded from the mkext cache).

Or there's the nuclear option, to make a cache that includes all the ones from /E/E and everything in /S/L/E. That might work great, but hides whatever the underlying problem is rather than resolving it. And (since this is a quick'n'dirty approach) might lead to problems down the road. Something like:
Code:
cd /Extra
sudo kextcache -m Extensions.mkext Extensions /System/Library/Extensions/

humph said:
Or there's the nuclear option, to make a cache that includes all the ones from /E/E and everything in /S/L/E. That might work great, but hides whatever the underlying problem is rather than resolving it. And (since this is a quick'n'dirty approach) might lead to problems down the road. Something like:
Code:
cd /Extra
sudo kextcache -m Extensions.mkext Extensions /System/Library/Extensions/
I don't think you would want to do that as 10.6.x automatically create a cache for /S/L/E in /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/

Indeed. Double-counting as it were (and worse). But seems to work, generally.

BUT agreed, not for everyday use, just useful to gain insight/experiment in cases where normal cache still gives KP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back