XFX Radeon HD 6870
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

When I built my Hack I thought I'd save a few bucks and get the unsupported built-in GPU on my CPU. This has caused headaches trying to upgrade to ML. My thought now is to buy a very inexpensive GPU that I can use simply to upgrade and then switch back to my 6870.

Any thoughts on a good card for this purpose?

Thanks in advance!
Mike

assuming your hack is still working, why not simply delete or rename the ati6000controller kext on the usb stick and install with the 6870 in place?

I've been through that process to no avail. I was actually able to get ML to install pretty easily, but it was getting back in after rebooting that is the issue. The threads on this issue don't seem to be conclusive.

probably seen it already, but this is the thread to read http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...mountain-lion-6xxx-gpu-issues-fix-inside.html

if you can install with the card in place, you can boot back in with it in place

to answer your original question, get a cheapo used card off ebay.
cheapest to go for would be the 8500gt, 8600gt cards. other models to look at gt210, 9500gt, 9600gt.
all the old nvidia cards circa 2008 are a good bet as theyll be pennies nowadays

did you try changing the dvi port you were using?

try it.
white screen on a 6xxx (seperate to the ml install issues) sounds like the wrong dvi port is being used

I had no issue with a eVga GT430 and GT240. Those are pretty cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back