Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I know I have posted here before, but I think I have settled on what I want/need. It is basically CustoMac Build #4 with some minor tweaks.

Intel Core i7-2600K
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3
AMD Radeon HD 6870
Corsair Vengence Blu 1600Mhz DDR3 (4GB now, 8GB by Christmas)
Fractal Design Define R3 Titanium Grey
OCZ 500watt ModXStream Pro
Sony Optiarc
OCZ 120 GB Agility 3 SSD SATA 6.0 Gbps 2.5" Sold State Drive (Install OS X)
Seagate Barracuda 250gb 7200RPM (Windows Drive for Gaming)
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 7200RPM (Media Storage)

Comes out to $1,236.89 before Tax and Shipping.

I plan on doing gaming and FCP and Logic. I am not planning on overclocking, so would I need a CPU Cooler or can I just use the stock one? Also, will there be a problem with having three drives? Will there be a better way to go about getting windows on the Hackintosh? Will everything work in this build and does it work well in Lion or should I stick to Snow Leopard? Thank you!

Edit: I may just remove the extra drive and get a bigger SSD but I am not sure which size I should buy. Also, if I were to first install OS X and Windows on the 1tb, and then I bought an SSD, would it be easy to move the system files to the SSD or no?

VeganHipster said:
I know I have posted here before, but I think I have settled on what I want/need. It is basically CustoMac Build #4 with some minor tweaks.

Intel Core i7-2600K
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3
AMD Radeon HD 6870
Corsair Vengence Blu 1600Mhz DDR3 (4GB now, 8GB by Christmas)
Fractal Design Define R3 Titanium Grey
OCZ 500watt ModXStream Pro
Sony Optiarc
OCZ 120 GB Agility 3 SSD SATA 6.0 Gbps 2.5" Sold State Drive (Install OS X)
Seagate Barracuda 250gb 7200RPM (Windows Drive for Gaming)
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 7200RPM (Media Storage)

Comes out to $1,236.89 before Tax and Shipping.

I plan on doing gaming and FCP and Logic. I am not planning on overclocking, so would I need a CPU Cooler or can I just use the stock one? Also, will there be a problem with having three drives? Will there be a better way to go about getting windows on the Hackintosh? Will everything work in this build and does it work well in Lion or should I stick to Snow Leopard? Thank you!

Edit: I may just remove the extra drive and get a bigger SSD but I am not sure which size I should buy. Also, if I were to first install OS X and Windows on the 1tb, and then I bought an SSD, would it be easy to move the system files to the SSD or no?

All looks compatible. I'd say though that if you are spending that much cash you might as well buy a decent cooler. No point in pennypinching on that.

As far as SSD is concerned, look up posts about splitting the user files from the system files. That'll mean you should be fine on a 120GB SSD for booting OSX. You can then partition a larger disk for Windows plus your OSX user files. Dual boot OSX and Win 7 from a single larger drive is no problem I am doing that right now....On the other hand, hey have as many drives as you like. If you have room in your chosen case and the MOBO supports them then why not have separate drives. All your choice really.

If you are going with Sandy Bridge I'd say go with Lion, can't see a good reason for sticking with Snow. Might as well get on the new OS from the start as this is a new build.

500W looks okay for you right now. If you ever wanted to upgrade though to extra/faster GPUs etc. you would probably need to go more Watts.

That's just my advice though. I am sure others with your exact board/GPU will be able to comment further.

Good luck.

Thank you for the quick reply! I will be doing some more research and change my build a little bit.

EDIT: Do you think I could get two Momentus XT drives and install OS X on one and Windows on the other? I might just do that instead of getting SSD. Then on the 1tb I will have media and backups. Thank you!

I am thinking this system will be running very hot if I get all those three drives in there, will that be a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back