Contribute
Register

Last Hackint0sh was in the Tiger and Leopard days..I'm back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Alright, I had built different machines/frankensteined together parts waaay back in the day when Tiger and Leopard was all the rage. I then switched to Apple products (iMacs, Mac minis, MacBook Airs). I want a more powerful machine than I can get from Apple for about $800-1200. I have put together the following build and would like some confirmation on its viability:

CPU: i7-2600k
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB
PSU: Seasonic SS-460. I would like to keep the machine as silent as possible. This is a fanless PSU, will it provide enough power once I add a 6870, it seems most 6870 cards recommend 500+? If not, can anyone recommend the quietest PSU that would be able to handle it.
CPU FAN: COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520
VIDEO: At least to begin with, I'd just stick with the HD3000 onboard with the i7-2600k. I currently use a Mid 2010 Mac mini with a Core 2 Duo (2.4 and onboard video), I don't need a lot of video power. In looking around, it seems like there can be some issues with these when you have a large amount of RAM, is that true?
HDD: I have a 7200RPM 750GB Scorpio black from an old build that I'd use as a boot drive until I can afford a 256GB MLC SSD.
AIRPORT: Atheros AR5BXB112 Dual-Band PCI-E. I would attach this via a Mini PCI-E to PCI-E x1 card with triple antennas.
BLUETOOTH: Jabra A320s Bluetooth Adapter
CASE: I have a few old Mid-Tower ATX cases laying around, I'll start with that until I find exactly what I'd like to do with it.

I currently own a retail copy of 10.6 and I have purchased 10.7 on my current machine (Mac mini). I believe that this build would rightfully spank even the highest end iMac, am I about correct? I know without having a dedicated graphics card at the moment, it wouldn't be quite as good in terms of video performance. This setup would be as is until about Christmas or maybe a few months after, at which point I'd add a 6870 and a 256GB (or if I really don't need the extra space, 128GB) MLC SSD.

What issues will I run into with this build? How much faster than a top end iMac can I expect it to be? Am I locking myself into a pointless build, as I keep hearing about Ivy Bridge? Any other general issues or concerns the more experienced builders out there can help a relative noob out with! I've lurked for a while on this site and I've tried to line up this build for relatively little problems, just looking for some clarification/help.

Thanks guys!

Hey redrox5. I just built something very similar. I have the same mobo and CPU as you, but I used the Seasonic X-560 PSU and for the cooler I got the Scythe Mugen 3, neither of which I can hear. When I lower the voltage of the case fans (via the PCI slot tool supplied with my case) I can't hear the machine at all, unless the DVD drive is running. I think your HDD will be the loudest component during normal running.

With the RAM overclocked to 1600MHz and CPU at 4.3GHz, I got a 64-bit Geekbench score just over 15,000. No CPU cores went over around 60C. Not sure how this corresponds to the iMac, but gives you something to compare. I haven't run any stress testing or graphics benching of the HD3000.

Jasps said:
I ordered almost the same as you last Friday.

Except the cooler and memory and PSU:

- The Mugen 2 rev. B (cooler) is more quiet then the Mugen 3 (http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/2146/6/ ... sproductie) and is highly recommended.

- 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance Low profile, which makes it easier to mount a cooler.

Have a look at this guide from Stork: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=36296

Good shout on the low profile RAM - that's what I have and I'm not sure the cooler would fit otherwise.

The Mugen 2 rev. B is what I ordered originally, but it's discontinued here, so I had to 'upgrade' to the Mugen 3.

looks great!

The Hyper 212+ is a better choice for silence. It is also around the same price as the original cooler you spec'ed, much cheaper than Scythe. The scythe MAY be marginally better (you're looking at 2-3C, nothing worth paying triple for).

The fanless PSU will be fine for the 6870, as it is a quality unit with plenty of power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back