Gigabyte H370M D3H
CPU
i5-8500
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Hello again. I am going to try something new if possible. Just want to get a feel for this next adventure. I have an Acer Predator Helios 500 with the follow specs:

CPU - Core i7-8750H
Ram 16GB
GPU - NVidia Geforce GTX 1070 (will be disabled and will use UHD630)

Basically, I want to remove the motherboard from the laptop and put it into a simple and small enclosure behind the TV and use it solely for watching movies. I wish to load either High Sierra or Mojave for the OS. If I read the other posts correctly, I would be able to utilize the Geforce GPU possibly if I go with High Sierra, but this would not be important as my 1080P TV is the limit of what this will be used for.

The set-up idea would be this simple computer using the laptop motherboard, connected to my movie storage by way of USB3.0, and output by HDMI to the TV.

So for the questions at hand for this post;

1.) If I do not use the entire laptop, just the motherboard (no built in keyboard, track pad, battery management, etc.) do I install like a laptop or desktop. This would be good to know when it comes time to ask questions about set-up.
2.) Your ideas on this adventure. Keep in mind, laptop was a gift, slightly damaged and I have no use for windows.

Hello again. I am going to try something new if possible. Just want to get a feel for this next adventure. I have an Acer Predator Helios 500 with the follow specs:

CPU - Core i7-8750H
Ram 16GB
GPU - NVidia Geforce GTX 1070 (will be disabled and will use UHD630)

Basically, I want to remove the motherboard from the laptop and put it into a simple and small enclosure behind the TV and use it solely for watching movies. I wish to load either High Sierra or Mojave for the OS. If I read the other posts correctly, I would be able to utilize the Geforce GPU possibly if I go with High Sierra, but this would not be important as my 1080P TV is the limit of what this will be used for.

The set-up idea would be this simple computer using the laptop motherboard, connected to my movie storage by way of USB3.0, and output by HDMI to the TV.

So for the questions at hand for this post;

1.) If I do not use the entire laptop, just the motherboard (no built in keyboard, track pad, battery management, etc.) do I install like a laptop or desktop. This would be good to know when it comes time to ask questions about set-up.
2.) Your ideas on this adventure. Keep in mind, laptop was a gift, slightly damaged and I have no use for windows.
Nivida optimus is not supported, only your Intel GPU will work

Thank you for that tip Feartech

Back