Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Day 8:

After many attempts to boot from my cloned drive (which for some reason seems impossible now, it just boots from my main drive even tho it shows the right disk for the cloned one at the beginning, yet ends up on main drive), I came across this message:

hfs: node=912 fileID=8 - Facility com.apple.system.fs ErrType FS MountPTt /

hfs: Runtime corruption detected on 'main drive', fsck will be forced on next mount.

I think that therefore the drive is corrupted. (I'm still assuming the SSD itself is OK, just a file corruption which a reinstall should fix).

What still baffles me is I can boot normally, but in safe mode it tries to fsck and fails/panics. Can't boot from UniBeast as that also will try to fsck the main drive, and fails and panics.

Update: Just disconnected everything and booted from clone. Same error occurred when trying to boot in safe mode. FSCK_HFS panic. Hence I think that the filesystem is corrupted and not a problem with the SSD or hard drive. I'm hoping this corruption isn't carried over in Time Machine Backup! I have no clue how to verify if it did or didn't.

Day 6:

- Booting from Unibeast USB stick with ML disk connected: Kernel panic- FSCK_HFS
-
Booting from Unibeast USB with ML disk disconnected: Kernel panic - kernel_task
- Booting from Unibeast USB with ML disk disconnected and using -F (capital F) bootflag: SUCCESS. Reason: I believe the graphics card might be causing the problem when booting without -F.

- Booting ML disk without any flags (normal boot): SUCCESS.
- Booting ML disk with -s: run /sbin/fsck -fy twice, then exit to boot: SUCCESS
- Booting ML disk with -x: Kernel panic - FSCK_HFS
- Booting ML disk with -f: Kernel panic - FSCK_HFS

- Verifiying ML disk: ALL OK
- Verifying permissions on ML Disk: system freezes completely and I have to restart.

Hi everyone,

My system recently crashed and since then I have been unable to get back in. The last thing I did before the crash was to install the latest Java update via Software Update. Using safe mode results in a kernel panic at apple logo. The only way I have been able to get back into the system, is via using -s and running fsck followed by exit in order to get into GUI. This seems to do it temporarily until my next restart. I've checked disk utility, everything seems OK, verified OK, repaired OK, permissions OK etc.

The kernel panic at safe mode looks like this:

photo.jpg

Up until now my system has been running rock solid so I'm at a bit of a loss here. I have a feeling that using fsck will stop working eventually as well, so any help as always would be hugely appreciated!

-fussie, desperately hoping for a solution

If I run -v during a normal boot, it tells me Mountain Lion volume cannot be verified and shutsdown.

I'm not giving up yet, but I have to admit I'm close to tears!

After having a few issues getting back into the system by using -s flag, I'm back in it with -s (followed by fsck and exit to get into GUI), tho am now experiencing random KPs as well.:crazy: Tried to verify disk again just in case to see if anything has changed, and now get several errors (which I'm unable to repair via Disk Utility on ML):

invalid node structure
invalid extent entry

Now I thought I was being really clever and use my unibeast stick to try and run disk utility from there, but now I can't even get into the Unibeast installation screen. It kernel panics and won't make it through. I have no idea what is going on, because the Unibeast stick always worked before. I re-created it, but same thing again, no matter what flag -x, -s, -f etc I use to try and boot from it, it just panics.

Having searched a bit, this all leads me to believe that my brand new SSD is screwed and possible needs to be reformatted and completely reinstalled. I had planned to do that even tho it's a bit of a pain of course, but not being able to get into Unibeast, I don't know what I can do now. I have no idea how any of the above errors or previous kernel panics are related to my Unibeast stick not working. BIOS settings are all still the same (F8). Went from working one day, to not working the next.

As a last resort I'm hoping I can connect this SSD to my mac mini and try to repair it from there.

I'm currently saving this post every 2 seconds due to imminent kernel panic. I'm hoping some bright soul finds my post amongst all the other cries for help.

-fussie

Day 5, and possible progress....

I booted from my carbon copy clone and verified/repaired my actual Mountain Lion drive. Message is ALL OK in wonderful bright green font.

I can now boot into the system normally, however I still get the occasional kernel panic, Safari quitting unexpectantly , as well as not being able to boot into safe mode, nor actually boot from my Unibeast stick (which I find confusing the most).

My Unibeast stick works with all other machines in the house, which leads me to believe that my machine has a potential hardware problem as BIOS etc is unchanged.

I'd be happy with that conclusion, if it weren't for the fact that I can still boot from my actual Mountain Lion drive....

-fussie

(I'd more than appreciate any advice anyone is able to give. In either case, I'll document my progress/failures here in case it might,potentially,just maybe, hopefully help someone else)

Day 6:

- Booting from Unibeast USB stick with ML disk connected: Kernel panic- FSCK_HFS
- Booting from Unibeast USB with ML disk disconnected: Kernel panic - kernel_task
- Booting from Unibeast USB with ML disk disconnected and using -F (capital F) bootflag: SUCCESS. Reason: I believe the graphics card might be causing the problem when booting without -F.

- Booting ML disk without any flags (normal boot): SUCCESS.
- Booting ML disk with -s: run /sbin/fsck -fy twice, then exit to boot: SUCCESS
- Booting ML disk with -x: Kernel panic - FSCK_HFS
- Booting ML disk with -f: Kernel panic - FSCK_HFS

- Verifiying ML disk: ALL OK
- Verifying permissions on ML Disk: system freezes completely and I have to restart.

Preliminary Hypothesis:

At first, I thought the 'Backtrace (CPU)' in the KP was leading me to a problem with the actual CPU. I think this is just a normal message however and nothing to do with the actual CPU. Then I thought it was a hardware fault with the SSD but as it's a brand new and still runs the system normally, I doubt its the problem.

As most panics seem to throw up FSCK_HFS and I can't verify permissions without system freezing, I think it could be that my ML installation got corrupted somehow (no idea how as updates were installed a long while ago and has been running solid) and the drive would need to be reformatted and a fresh installation put on to get past the FSCK_HFS panics.

On the other hand, I can boot the system normally without any problems at the moment. I just can't verify permissions, safe mode etc without it panicking. Even though it runs at the moment, my worry is that eventually the system won't run at all due to above errors.

I don't know enough about FSCK_HFS or Macs in general to figure out why it freezes at that point. Could FSCK_HFS be a permissions thing (ie it can't check certain files because it doesn't have right permissions and then panics?)? It usually stops just after 'Checking extended attributes' and then throws up FSCK_HFS panic.

My worry with a clean install is that it won't fix the problem. I'd be hesitant to migrate data from Time Machine or use cloned backup as it will have the same permission errors.

Yours in panic,

-fussie

Before the 'Checking extended attributes', it shows ITEIT87x: found ITE IT8728F. I think this message is OK to ignore though. Possibly FakeSMC plugin related. Just including it here for completeness sake.

Day 8:

After many attempts to boot from my cloned drive (which for some reason seems impossible now, it just boots from my main drive even tho it shows the right disk for the cloned one at the beginning, yet ends up on main drive), I came across this message:

hfs: node=912 fileID=8 - Facility com.apple.system.fs ErrType FS MountPTt /

hfs: Runtime corruption detected on 'main drive', fsck will be forced on next mount.

I think that therefore the drive is corrupted. (I'm still assuming the SSD itself is OK, just a file corruption which a reinstall should fix).

What still baffles me is I can boot normally, but in safe mode it tries to fsck and fails/panics. Can't boot from UniBeast as that also will try to fsck the main drive, and fails and panics.

Update: Just disconnected everything and booted from clone. Same error occurred when trying to boot in safe mode. FSCK_HFS panic. Hence I think that the filesystem is corrupted and not a problem with the SSD or hard drive. I'm hoping this corruption isn't carried over in Time Machine Backup! I have no clue how to verify if it did or didn't.

Hello good folk of TonyMacx86!

After a corrupted filesystem on hard drive, unbootable Mac OS disks, a corrupted Time Machine backup and corrupted disk due to the initial problem, and no more automatic booting of default drive etc...I have finally solved it. (Thanks in part to Windows 7).

The problem for ALL the errors and problems I had: Faulty RAM stick.

-fussie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back