Contribute
Register

KP on Installer partition boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
For testing I installed 10.6.3, upgraded to 10.6.7 (I can't get 10.6.8 to install, I've tried all the solutions I could find but nothing works), then installed Lion. I followed the directions exactly. When I try to boot to the Installer partition, I get the Apple-on-grey logo, then a very quick KP. Screenshot of that is attached, but it's very hard to read. The first line is "getPhysicalSegment() out of 32b range" and the backtraces are for RadeonMonitor, FakeSMC, and IOPCIFamily.

I attempted to install RadeonMonitor.kext and FakeSMC.kext (no change for either) to /Volumes/Installer/S/L/E , and I replaced IOPCIFamily.kext with the one from Multibeast 3.8.0. That made led to the Apple-on-grey logo never going away, so at least it was different. When I went into verbose it hung after a few "NVClockX" errors about Nvidia cards not being found (I have a Radeon card).

I've tried various combinations of PCIRootUID=1, iBoot, -x, etc., and nothing works. So, is this just a problem with the GA-P55a-UD3, the XFX 5770, or some combination of the two? Or am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_1077.JPG
    IMG_1077.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 333
can you attach the picture clearly?
After you identify the kext problem, you can replaced it by Snow Leopard version,. it can fix it in my case...

have you try to change it to MacPro3,1 and see? I had installer partition KP when I was using MacPro 5,1. After changing it to 3,1, it booted up fine.

I had the exact same problem (same exact KP error). In the end what worked was to take out the 5770 and put back in my old 8800GS graphics card. Then I could boot fine with one monitor (using both DVI ports caused things to hang up in Lion). I have tried various things with the 5770 but have not found a way to get it to boot Lion. For now I am back to 10.6.8. I am thinking about selling the 5770 card and getting a more compatible one. I will hang back for awhile in case someone figure out a way to get these to work reliably on Lion.

Probably not what you wanted to hear.

I'm having the same exact same KP issue. Running verbose mode it looks like it is problem with my 5850 card. Installed my SL Radeon kext to S/L/Extensions but then I found this thread and looks like it won't be much help either.

EDIT AGAIN: I ended up rebuilding my Lion installer drive manually (xMove did not work for me) and was able to boot into it and install lion with full hardware graphics acceleration (GraphicsEnabler=yes). I figured out that my problem was mostly unrelated to this thread, so I won't clutter it up any further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back