Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
King Midas Power Mac G5 ( Late 2005 )

The Bronze Beast G5 Mod

I have been looking for a clean case to mod for about 3 months now. I came across a listing on craigslist for a work G5. Made the call and ended up driving 2 hours to get it. When I got there The old man ( 74 years of age ) asked me to remove his pictures and put them on his new 27' iMac and to hook up his new Apple router. So being nice I got to work. When I was finished I pulled out my wallet and he said " No Charge " I was like really? Ok!!!

Here It Is Late 2005 Power Mac G5 100% Still Working!!!
Front Side.jpgRight Side.jpgLeft Side.jpgBack Side.jpgSide Panel Off 1.jpgSide Panel Off With Side Panel.jpg

My plains are to use the LaserHive Duel Fan mATX back plate and mATX motherboard tray. Since its a Late 2005 model I think ( from reading up on G5 case mods ) I will have to make a front IO panel.

Here is my Hackintosh Build I am running now!!!
System Specs.jpg
GA-Z77-DS3H i7 3770k 32GIGS RAM HD4000

I am going to use the G5 until I get the back plate and motherboard tray. No reason to break it down yet, Why not enjoy the old days LOL!!!

Attachments

• About This Mac.tiff
    45.6 KB · Views: 212
  • Hardware Overview.tiff
    82.9 KB · Views: 210
LOL! I too bought a Late 2005 PowerMac G5 off of craigslist last year. Paid $50 for a working system w/o a disk drive; they proved it work. :thumbup: So, I bought a hard drive and a few memory sticks, and it's still running. I've got the Laser Hive back panel mod awaiting to me to make the decision to take it apart. But, you know, I'm not really in any hurry. :lol:

LOL! I too bought a Late 2005 PowerMac G5 off of craigslist last year. Paid $50 for a working system w/o a disk drive; they proved it work. :thumbup: So, I bought a hard drive and a few memory sticks, and it's still running. I've got the Laser Hive back panel mod awaiting to me to make the decision to take it apart. But, you know, I'm not really in any hurry. :lol:

:lol:

How long did it take for you to get it in the mail? Hopefully your in the States as I am also.

Postage times to the US can be highly variable. With a bit of luck sometimes UK to US can be around one working week. Average times seem to be around 10 days, but if US customs decide to take a look then 3 weeks (or sometimes more) can happen.

Postage times to the US can be highly variable. With a bit of luck sometimes UK to US can be around one working week. Average times seem to be around 10 days, but if US customs decide to take a look then 3 weeks (or sometimes more) can happen.

Well atleast I am in no hurry as this is my winter project. I can deal with 7-10 working days... But 3 weeks plus is crazy LOL

Well atleast I am in no hurry as this is my winter project. I can deal with 7-10 working days... But 3 weeks plus is crazy LOL

I agree.........I have just waited 6 weeks on something coming the other way across the Atlantic to me in the UK..

UK customs decided to stop it and then just keep it for 4 weeks while they took their time over deciding that they should charge me £8 import duty - plus a £10 handling fee from the UK post office for infomring me the £8 was due and for handling the transaction - for something described on eBay as "for parts or not working".

Honestly though, that is pretty much an exceptional experience and most times it is not so bad. :)

US Customs isn't so bad. If they hold it in Customs I will just go to there office!!! Great thing sometime on where I live. I see the Atlantic everyday LOL. I do know that I will wait on the Laser Hive parts. I am in no rush to make something perfect!!!

UPDATE

So I went a head and took apart the G5. It was just to out dated for me to be able to use it.

G5 Empty.jpg

Now I got to give it to Apple. There design and how they put this tower together is just super nice. It was a very big pain in the ass to get the heat sink off. Spent 4 hours today running back and worth from the store to the house until I found the right length T15.

The plan now is to go a head and finish taking the tower a part. I was looking at paint today but not sure on colors yet. I want to do a Bronze and Gold Theme with the inside blacked out.

I do have a question.
1- I already removed the psu from the psu case. I am going to put my psu in it and everything. The problem I am having is, The damn thing still works. Is there a market for a G5 PSU? I would hate to cut the plug off and pass up free cash.
2- Do the sell a replacement apple plug if I sell the PSU?

What is everyone thought on that?

There is definitely a market, like on eBay, for G5 PSUs.

But I don't know how good they are sold and I guess there is a variety of G5 PSUs, so you need to be very precise about the PSU to get the attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back