Contribute
Register

Kernel panic when upgrading from yosemite to el capitan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because "Yosemite works fine" doesn't mean it is supported in El Capitan (or Yosemite).
Some configurations do work it is true but VGA remains unsupported in OS X.

Attach your config.plist

Hi, so I'm running OS X 10.10.0 on an i5-3330, a GTX 750ti SC edition, and the motherboard shows up as Lenovo Mahobay. Everything works fine in Yosemite, and Clover is the latest version. However, when I follow the guide to upgrade to El Capitan via the mac app store method, all I get is a kernel panic, as seen in the included picture. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could try?
View attachment 197183

Kernel panic in screenshot shows AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement. Id say Powermanagement is the issue here. Always use DVI,HDMI or DisplayPort. VGA has no support.

Just because "Yosemite works fine" doesn't mean it is supported in El Capitan (or Yosemite).
Some configurations do work it is true but VGA remains unsupported in OS X.

Attach your config.plist

done, i believe this is the correct one (also sorry if i sounded snarky or something when i said yosemite worked fine, i didn't mean it that way and didn't realize it sounded like that, i was just stating everything i could about my setup in case it could help)

Kernel panic in screenshot shows AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement. Id say Powermanagement is the issue here. Always use DVI,HDMI or DisplayPort. VGA has no support.

already have the appleintelcpupowermanagement kext, that OP is old news

as for your last statement, that's frankly not an option for me, i have 0 hdmi, dvi, or displayport monitors, all i have are old VGA monitors, such as my HP L1706 that i currently use, and i can't afford a new monitor either (again though, i use a dvi-vga adapter, as as far as the OS and graphics card is concerned i'm using DVI, should it not? or can it still tell that i'm using VGA?)

Attachments

• config.plist
    4.5 KB · Views: 119
done, i believe this is the correct one (also sorry if i sounded snarky or something when i said yosemite worked fine, i didn't mean it that way and didn't realize it sounded like that, i was just stating everything i could about my setup in case it could help)

already have the appleintelcpupowermanagement kext, that OP is old news

as for your last statement, that's frankly not an option for me, i have 0 hdmi, dvi, or displayport monitors, all i have are old VGA monitors, such as my HP L1706 that i currently use, and i can't afford a new monitor either (again though, i use a dvi-vga adapter, as as far as the OS and graphics card is concerned i'm using DVI, should it not? or can it still tell that i'm using VGA?)

Be sure that you've removed old kexts from S/L/E make sure that's kexts are up to date.

You may get away with having a VGA adaptor but I wouldn't count on it.

Attachments

• config.plist
    3.6 KB · Views: 200
Try with this one :

nope, now i get this:

20160708_132424.jpg

and nvda_drv=1 keeps getting re-added to the bootflags list, it keeps nv_disable=1 of course, but it also refuses to let me remove nvda_drv=1, clover configurator says it's no longer set, but since it still shows up in the boot flags list in clover i assume something is overriding it at a very low level somehow

nope, now i get this:

View attachment 202382

and nvda_drv=1 keeps getting re-added to the bootflags list, it keeps nv_disable=1 of course, but it also refuses to let me remove nvda_drv=1, clover configurator says it's no longer set, but since it still shows up in the boot flags list in clover i assume something is overriding it at a very low level somehow

Try booting without caches and injected kexts.

If that fails try safe mode.

Try booting without caches and injected kexts.

If that fails try safe mode.
sadly no, both resulted in the exact same error as booting into it normally using the config.plist you provided

sadly no, both resulted in the exact same error as booting into it normally using the config.plist you provided

No more ideas - Sorry.

Actually I did have one more idea - Try this :

Attachments

• config.plist
    3.6 KB · Views: 193
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back