Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X-UD3 Rev 1.0
CPU
i7 6700k
Graphics
Radeon RX Vega 64
I've just tossed together a build that I'm trying to get working with 10.11, but no matter what I try, I get a kernel panic shortly after it starts booting. I built this using the standard process with Unibeast, UEFI boot, no extra options. The thumbdrive is connected via the USB 2.0 ports.

The build:

Pentium G3258
Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H-A
8GB RAM (2x4)
Onboard video
1TB SATA drive
DVD-RW drive

Initially, I was getting a KP that cited a launchd exit, a bunch of UUIDs, memory addresses, and nothing else. No kexts. I've come to realize that I need to inject a Fake CPUID, which I've done through the Clover options menu, and yes, on every boot attempt. It doesn't work. I've tried 0x010676 and 0x0306A0. Both of these result in a near-immediate kernel panic citing AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement. I've disabled all speedstep/sleep state options in the BIOS, but no luck. If I try 0x0306C0 (Supported Haswell ID), I get the original kernel panic. I've tried "cpus=1", but that didn't help either.

Every guide seems to cite the CPUID as the only caveat, but apparently it isn't. This is hardly my first Hackie, but it is my first attempt with Clover/El Capitan.

Success! I found a Clover config file on InsanelyMac that worked! I'm not sure what specific settings it used, but I was able to boot and get it installed! However, my problems aren't over. For the first few boots (hooked up to the Intel video), it would reboot after a minute or two on the desktop, citing a KP when I restarted and it brought up the Report dialog. The KP didn't cite any specific kexts, just the addresses and a dump of all kexts installed. I shut it down, installed a GTX 750, and it seemed to work. Got everything working (except for audio, which has NEVER worked properly on any Hackie I've built), but it's done it at least one more time since then, same KP. Anyone have any ideas? I thought it was something buggy with the Intel video, but I'm not using it and I still occasionally have a random restart. There doesn't seem to be anything specific setting it off.

Good find, thanks for sharing. I learn every day here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back