Graphics
nVidia EVGA GTX 680 SC 2GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ok, so, i got Lion installed with some issues, had to use -x to get it running but now it's installed but on reboot after install I keep getting a Kernel Panic.

I'm doing a fresh Lion install, not an upgrade from SL as the SL disc i have is 10.6.3 and as I recall SandyBridge isn't supported till after that, i think ...

My hardware is as follows:

Mobo: Asus Maximus IV Extreme
CPU: i7-2600k 3.4GHz
RAM: 4GB (Installed) Mushkin Copperhead 1600Mhz (8GB Total)
GFX: EVGA GTX 560Ti

I'm not sure how to read kernel panics so i don't know what the issue is, i've kind of narrowed it down to the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext, but i'm unsure what to do with it? Remove it and re-add later or?

I've used the following Flags: -x, -v, -s, -arch=i386 and -legacy

I'm thinking it's because of the SandyBridge CPU, but i thought SandyBridge was supported in 10.7 which makes me think otherwise

Re: Kernel Panic on boot

Could it be the IntelCPUManagement.kext causing the issue?

Shot of the Kernel Panic

Attachments

• DSC_1133.JPG
    DSC_1133.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 308
Disabled SpeedStep, TurboMode and Hyper-Threading

Tried -cpu=2

Could the kernel panic be being caused by the IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext?
Would I be silly to remove that kext?

Suggestion: Copy first the kext to your desktop, before deleting it. Rebuild permissions, reboot. -- and see what happens next.

powerpcg5 said:
Suggestion: Copy first the kext to your desktop, before deleting it. Rebuild permissions, reboot. -- and see what happens next.

I can't get to the desktop, i've not even got it booted yet after the install :/

The power management kext is inside the /E/E folder. If you boot into Lion, you should be able to use the terminal to get to that folder and remove the kext. Lion doesn't use mkexts, but just to be safe, when you boot Lion after doing this, boot with -f -v. The -f instructs Lion not to use any caches. The mkext is a kext cache that includes all of the kexts in /E/E. Since you are not rebuilding the mkext, if you delete the power management kext and then boot using the mkext, the power management kext will still be used. That's why -f is necessary.

-AC3

AC3 said:
The power management kext is inside the /E/E folder. If you boot into Lion, you should be able to use the terminal to get to that folder and remove the kext. Lion doesn't use mkexts, but just to be safe, when you boot Lion after doing this, boot with -f -v. The -f instructs Lion not to use any caches. The mkext is a kext cache that includes all of the kexts in /E/E. Since you are not rebuilding the mkext, if you delete the power management kext and then boot using the mkext, the power management kext will still be used. That's why -f is necessary.

-AC3

Would i be possible for me to delete the kext using MacDrive?

I can't boot into Lion at all :/

Ooops! I meant to say boot into the Lion installer. Anyway, yes, you can definitely use a tool that allows you to edit the OS X partition from windows.

-AC3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back