Contribute
Register

Kernel panic on El Capitan USB boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks both. Not my best day today... Will do what you said. Cheers!

Okay so I recovered my Back-up and did an install of Clover. It doesn't load the OS however. If I boot in verbose, it stops here: image.jpg

Edit: Since this is not only about El Capitan, I will create a new thread.

THIS! This is the exact thing I'm getting. Vanilla everything. Followed this guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...-supported-intel-based-pc.html#download_elcap Can't boot into USB. Tried with "nv_disable=1 -no-zp GraphicsEnabler=No" no luck. Tried -x -v no luck. Tried opening S/L/E on another comp to see whether I can temporarily delete AppleUSBUHCIPCI.kext : it wasn't there! Tried moving NullCPU/FakeSMC straight to S/L/E on the USB stick. No luck. Thoughts, anybody?

Btw, Verbose mode doesn't let me see anything during these attempts (unlike prior versions of OSX I've had). All I get is a black screen with one underscore in the top-left corner. Then, I get a glimpse of the panic of AppleUSBUHCIPCI like in Thij's screenshot & the comp reboots in 2 seconds.

THIS! This is the exact thing I'm getting. Vanilla everything. Followed this guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...-supported-intel-based-pc.html#download_elcap Can't boot into USB. Tried with "nv_disable=1 -no-zp GraphicsEnabler=No" no luck. Tried -x -v no luck. Tried opening S/L/E on another comp to see whether I can temporarily delete AppleUSBUHCIPCI.kext : it wasn't there! Tried moving NullCPU/FakeSMC straight to S/L/E on the USB stick. No luck. Thoughts, anybody?

Thanks for your reply. Just wondering, if I open my installation USB (in a working backup partition on the same PC), I only get 2 main folders (EFI & EFI-Backups) and "OS X El Capitan-installation". No S/L/E.

Btw, Verbose mode doesn't let me see anything during these attempts (unlike prior versions of OSX I've had). All I get is a black screen with one underscore in the top-left corner. Then, I get a glimpse of the panic of AppleUSBUHCIPCI like in Thij's screenshot & the comp reboots in 2 seconds.

Got it!! Found it via this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...ons-el-capitan-install-problems.html#BootArgs

Since your MB is x58 architecture too, this should do the trick:

I got it:

Download Clover Configurator on yosemite, then select the USB -> EFI -> CLOVER -> config.plist file
under ACPI, select these settings.

Running El Cap now almost perfectly with these settings.
I'm pretty new with Clover, so no doubt i'll have to reinstall it a couple of times more after i'm done playing around with some kexts and settings.

Board: EX58-UD5
CPU: i7 930
GPU: GTX670

thanks to audioguyjosh for the original settings

View attachment 153414

It's late now and I'm just back for work so I can't check if the installation end successful. Will do that tomorrow, but for now I can sleep well since I can boot to the USB installation process. Cheers!

Got it!! Found it via this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...ons-el-capitan-install-problems.html#BootArgs

Since your MB is x58 architecture too, this should do the trick:

It's late now and I'm just back for work so I can't check if the installation end successful. Will do that tomorrow, but for now I can sleep well since I can boot to the USB installation process. Cheers!

Tried all of that prior to replying to your post (but will try everything again later just to make sure I didn't miss a step somewhere). As for S/L/E: it's there, you just probably can't see it because it's hidden. Use
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
in Terminal to make hidden files/folders visible.

UPDATE: just tried it now. I've gotten further than normal... It takes me to the black screen with the white apple logo & starts the loading progress bar. It gets to about 1/3rd of the way & then reboots. :\

SOLVED!: the trick was keeping in mind that I have an Nvidia graphics card. Using Clover Configurator, I opened up USB/Clover/EFI/config.plist & checked in "Nvidia". Additionally, just to be safe, I opened up config.plist with textedit, did a search for Nvidia & changed injection of Intel to "false" & Nvidia to "true". Got to the installation screen... So far, so good. Thanks for reminding me to retry those clover config settings!

Just to be of help to anyone who has a problem with AppleUSBUHCIPCI.kext older systems I figured out that if you delete AppleUSBUHCIPCI.kext from IOUSBHostFamily.kext show package contents on that in S/L/E go to contents plugins and then delete AppleUSBUHCIPCI.kext and rebuild cache and kernel panic stops but every time you update it kernel panics and i keep booting the computer like 10 times and then it boots up then I delete the kext. I'm trying to make a disabler kext for this i'll post it once i create it.

Mine would panic at: AppleUSBUHCIPCI.kext after an update and initial installation. However my problems were solved by removing AppleHPET.kext from S/L/E and rebooting. This applies for older hardware (Specifically an old HP Elite 8000 in my case). Hope it helps someone.

For those coming to this thread, I had Kernel Panics that indicated an HPET problem and AppleUSB problem. I fixed it using a variation on the attachment above (153414) and I will post the configs below.

I could temporarily boot my system past the kernel panics without the Clover Unibeast USB stick by getting to the Clover boot screen and using the arrows to get to "Options" (there are two kinds of options, you just want "Options"), selecting "ACPI patching", "DSDT fix mask", and deselecting "Fix HPET" then exiting that and selecting my startup drive for booting.

Once I was able to boot my system I 1) made sure I had NullCPUPowerManagement kext installed and 2) I used Clover Configurator to mount my EFI and used a tip from the "Big List of Solutions" to modify my config.plist... it's a massive thread but what we want is at the top of page 2. I am including their version and the current Clover (as of 8/30/2017) version I used. You might not need all of the settings but these are what worked for us:

nothingmore.png

myconfig.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back