Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Kernel Panic on Direct update from Catalina to Big Sur - CLOVER - ( Lenovo Ideapad 330s 150iKB)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
i5-8250U Lenovo Ideapad 330s 15iKB
CPU
i5-8250U
Graphics
HD 620
Hello there,
I have Lenovo Ideapad 330s 150iKB working perfectly on Catalina right now. I went ahead and tried a direct update with latest clover 5127 from the appstore. I can't seem to get the update started. I get the following KP - ending in - In Memory Panic.

Please find attached my EFI folder as well. Any guidance would be much appreciated. I know the other option is to switch to open core but I neither have the expertise nor the time to switch over to open core. I hear there is a steep learning curve and it's not as straightforward as i'd like it to be.

Thanks!

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 90
  • EFI.zip
    10 MB · Views: 144
Not a Desktop - Moved to Laptop Support.

Hello there,
I have Lenovo Ideapad 330s 150iKB working perfectly on Catalina right now. I went ahead and tried a direct update with latest clover 5127 from the appstore. I can't seem to get the update started. I get the following KP - ending in - In Memory Panic.

Please find attached my EFI folder as well. Any guidance would be much appreciated. I know the other option is to switch to open core but I neither have the expertise nor the time to switch over to open core. I hear there is a steep learning curve and it's not as straightforward as i'd like it to be.

Thanks!
missing all the new booter quirks that has now been baked into clover from OpenCore

may be best to switch over to OpenCore instead

missing all the new booter quirks that has now been baked into clover from OpenCore

may be best to switch over to OpenCore instead
Hey Feartech. Thanks for the reply. I used the quirks section in the clover configurator. Kindly look at config backup.plist with the changes in the EFI folder. I am uncertain of which ones would work for my laptop. I have tried all variations - still nada.
As for opencore. Believe me I want to. I tried reading through the million pages that are out there on switching from clover to opencore but it flew right over my head - Haha. I was hoping to just chug away with clover since techincally it should work. Thanks for all the help!

Hey Feartech. Thanks for the reply. I used the quirks section in the clover configurator. Kindly look at config backup.plist with the changes in the EFI folder. I am uncertain of which ones would work for my laptop. I have tried all variations - still nada.
As for opencore. Believe me I want to. I tried reading through the million pages that are out there on switching from clover to opencore but it flew right over my head - Haha. I was hoping to just chug away with clover since techincally it should work. Thanks for all the help!
i have not used clover for awhile, have moved on to opencore

you can check over the guide in my signature, post2 has some edit's to config.plist's

i have not used clover for awhile, have moved on to opencore

you can check over the guide in my signature, post2 has some edit's to config.plist's
Do I choose macOS Big Sur for Available products? or do i still use a catalina recovery for a bigsur installation?

Do I choose macOS Big Sur for Available products? or do i still use a catalina recovery for a bigsur installation?
if you are using a mac, then download Big Sur and create your usb installer that way, or if you are using windows then it will be the catalina recovery, install catalina and then upgrade to Big Sur

currently no Big Sur recovery at this present moment

if you are using a mac, then download Big Sur and create your usb installer that way, or if you are using windows then it will be the catalina recovery, install catalina and then upgrade to Big Sur

currently no Big Sur recovery at this present moment
I don't have a mac but I have a working catalina hackintosh. Would that do? Thanks for all the help! In case of it working, what tool do i use to make a bootable bigsur usb in mac with open core. Thanks!

I don't have a mac but I have a working catalina hackintosh. Would that do? Thanks for all the help! In case of it working, what tool do i use to make a bootable bigsur usb in mac with open core. Thanks!
yes, you can use your working hackintosh to create the installer for Big Sur

once you have downloaded it, pop over here:

you will see under the picture on setting up your usb stick and use the code:
Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app --nointeraction
make sure your usb stick is called USB

then you can use hackintool to mount your EFI on your USB stick and copy over the efi from my guide in post 1 and then read up on post2 about the necessary changes you need to do in your config.plist

yes, you can use your working hackintosh to create the installer for Big Sur

once you have downloaded it, pop over here:

you will see under the picture on setting up your usb stick and use the code:
Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app --nointeraction
make sure your usb stick is called USB

then you can use hackintool to mount your EFI on your USB stick and copy over the efi from my guide in post 1 and then read up on post2 about the necessary changes you need to do in your config.plist
So I did that. I copied the EFI folder to the EFI on the USB. However, it won't show up as bootable media. what did i do wrong? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back