Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Asus P8Z77-V LX
i7 3370k stock
GTX560 Ti

Panic message

I installed the combo update and ran MultiBeast to reinstall audio (Drivers -> Audio -> Realtek ALC8xx -> WithoutDSDT -> ALC887/888b -> v100302 Current) and after restart would not boot. I'm assuming it's an audio issue by the mention of AppleHDAGenericCodec and that AppleHDA needed to be updated after updating to 10.8.4. Disabling audio in the BIOS also wont bypass it but I can boot in safe mode using -x. I tried removing all HDA related kext and rerunning the update but it still wouldn't boot. Also tried using v100202 Legacy after again removing the relevant kext and rerunning the update.

I'm out of ideas other than completely wiping and reinstalling.

It wasn't an audio issue as I had assumed. Reinstalling Chimera from MultiBeast fixed the problem.

really?
i had similiar issue with my gigabyte z77 ds3h on clean install new build 10.8.4 which also uses alc887 and because it hung on startup at the appleHDA i thought it was the audio.

I wiped everything and tried again and just left audio out for fear they would break it, and its working, but no sound obviously.
I did mess with chimera a bit first time though...

you sure chimera was the issue and not sound drivers?

I'm fairly confidant this wasn't audio related after all. I have the ALC887 kext installed and working fine. When I was able to boot from a Unibeast USB is what made me look at the bootloader.

I've been having a similar issue - I can't get past the startup, even after reinstalling 10.8.4 from unibeast. When you say you wiped it, did you have to erase the whole harddrive, or was there an option in the install dialog that allowed you to do a clean install? I'll admit I can't get past the kernel panic, so I'm not sure what my next step is

To get past the panic I was using safe mode (-x). I never did wipe anything, only reran the combo updater several times when trying to fix the issue. When I was about to wipe and start over, I tried booting into my installing after booting into the UniBeast USB and it worked! I reran the combo update, used MultiBeast to install ALC887 and Chimera 2.0.1 and it's been fine ever since.

Hi psutoad, did you do verbose mode and take a picture of where the text stopped? That might help diagnose the problem depending on where it halted.

I'm attaching the picture of my kernel panic - this comes when booting from my USB rescue drive, then selecting what should have been a fresh install of 10.8.4 from the rescue drive.

From all appearances, the dreaded audio driver issue is there abut halfway down the screen (org.voodoo.driver.VoodooHDA, dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily, com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily).

The thing is, if I have to go in to single user mode to fix something, I'm not as familiar with MacOS architecture to find the files. I don't know that I can run Multibeast unless I can get past this panic, so I'm at an impass. I wish I weren't such a newbie to this stuff - it's making me feel like I've never seen a computer before, which is kinda sad. I appreciate the help, guys and girls.

psutoad_panic.jpg

One last picture for tonight. I got past the panic by booting into safe mode with the (-x) boot option, having booted off of the USB drive. Ran multibeast to load in the audio drivers (I just selected the audio box, I didn't pick a specific one) It appeared to work correctly.

I restarted and booted off my internal HD, and got a new kernel panic. I'm attaching that here.

Thanks,
Todd
:banghead:

photo-2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back