CPU
Graphics
R9 270X
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

Multiple users have this problem showing up after the 10.12.6 update, kernel panic during boot.
It disappear when coming back to 10.12.5 or when booting with -x flag, but this flag also means that EFI partition can't be mounted, so we can't do any modification on S/L/E or kext or... everything clover related
I have read that Lilu and the graphics id can repair it but I never succeeded, and even more frustrating is the fact that my Unibeat usb key also can't help my MacOS drive to boot and also fails with the same kernel panic.
My moo is a H170M-D3H from gigabyte, running HD graphics 530.
Here's a picture:
IMG_2221.PNG
Multiple posts are in the Update to 10.12.6 concerning this problem but all are complains and none are solutions.

Thank you if you have an idea of where the heck this problem can come from, Hugh.

I was one of the complainers, but I can only tell you that your issue is different from the one I ran into. Mine was due to a combination of an MSI motherboard with an odd memory allocation and me implementing only half of Rehabmans NVMe fix/patch. Bought a Gigabyte board instead and implemented the fix properly and have been running like a charm ever since. But... Yours seems to be different. Sorry that I can't help you.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, I installed Lilu kext in S/L/E and tried to change the graphics id to another random number in the clover boot screen, I'll try to put it in the config.plist the next time I do a clean install but every time I try I must clean install to clean the problem and it's very time consuming. Is there something else to do?

Thanks for the reply Shoikan

I tried to tackle it by cloning the boot drive in a working state to another, then booting and fiddling with the clone. That way it's easy to go back to a known working state. Also prevents you from throwing the whole thing into a corner after the fifteenth failure (in my case anyway :D )

Did you used Carbon copy cloner?

Yes. The trial version will do fine. Don't forget to run multibeast afterwards to create the EFI partition on the cloned disk. Ohw! And be careful you select that cloned disk to install it to in the last screen of multibeast :) Doing this (multibeast) isn't 100% required since you will be able to select to boot from the cloned disk anyway through the clover screen, but this way you can completely separate the 'tinkering' environment from your 'known working' environment.

Thanks a lot! I was going to install multicast the old way :mrgreen: Now, let's find the problem shall we...

Hi,

Still not funded the error, I'm starting to think that this mobo is complete garbage

Hi,

Still nothing, I tried to do a fresh install of 12.6 which worked, and then, using the migration tool I imported my time machine and then it did the error again :(
Booting with -x bootflag and saw that it backed the version to 12.5 because it was the version of the time machine.
Putting manually Lilu.kext into System/Library/Extensions did removed the kernel panic for 12.5, but still nothing for 12.6
I'm desperate, I tried everything and there is still something in the copy of my time machine that causes some problems and the kernel panic doesn't say anything.
All of it happened with the 12.6 update, while everyone else reports butter smooth update

If anyone as any idea or thoughts, PLEASE let me know, I will try anything to even see a different kernel panic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back