Graphics
8800GTX
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
My laptop stopped booting today, verbose mode shows a kernel panic with com.apple.iokit.ioacpifamily listed. If I boot with the -f option to ignore caches, ML starts up and runs fine.

I was under the impression -f would cause it to ignore the existing cache, boot and rebuild it? However if I reboot the same problem occurs. A few threads on here and elsewhere suggested manually rebuilding the cache, I've tried:

Code:
      sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel -all-loaded
      sudo kextcache -system-caches

and

Code:
      sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

Yet the problem still remains. Is there a different method needed to rebuild the kernel caches under mountain lion? Or, despite being able to boot with -f, is there more to this than a kernel cache problem?

For context, I've not installed any new updates nor kernel extensions between being able to boot/not boot.

My laptop stopped booting today, verbose mode shows a kernel panic with com.apple.iokit.ioacpifamily listed. If I boot with the -f option to ignore caches, ML starts up and runs fine.

I was under the impression -f would cause it to ignore the existing cache, boot and rebuild it? However if I reboot the same problem occurs. A few threads on here and elsewhere suggested manually rebuilding the cache, I've tried:

Code:
      sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel -all-loaded
      sudo kextcache -system-caches

and

Code:
      sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

Yet the problem still remains. Is there a different method needed to rebuild the kernel caches under mountain lion? Or, despite being able to boot with -f, is there more to this than a kernel cache problem?

For context, I've not installed any new updates nor kernel extensions between being able to boot/not boot.

I would remove all caches:

Code:
# in Terminal
sudo rm -r /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches

Then run Kext Wizard to repair permissions & rebuild caches.

Especially since you've been mucking directly with the com.apple.kext.caches/Startup directory...

Assuming ML doesn't automatically rebuild the cache after I remove it and reboot, which of the snippets I pasted (if any) is the correct way to rebuild it?

Assuming ML doesn't automatically rebuild the cache after I remove it and reboot, which of the snippets I pasted (if any) is the correct way to rebuild it?

Apple recommends this:

Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
sudo kextcache -update-volume /

rm and rebuild did the trick, thanks for the help RehabMan. :)

Apple recommends this:

Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
sudo kextcache -update-volume /
That works if I'm doing it on booted volume but how can I change it to another volume for example OSX???
any suggestions…...

That works if I'm doing it on booted volume but how can I change it to another volume for example OSX???
any suggestions…...

I don't think it works that way.

Generally if your cache is damaged, you boot without caches, then repair permissions & rebuild cache after booting.

unfortunately on my dell e6400 I reach desktop but nothing works.....
All icons etc are there id just not doing anything

unfortunately on my dell e6400 I reach desktop but nothing works.....
All icons etc are there id just not doing anything

Safe mode (-x).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back