Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi

GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 Version 1.3
UEFI BIOS U1b
i5-2500k
GigaByte Geforce GTX 760 (Kepler)
GBU-521 (bluetooth dongle)f

This was all working perfectly on Yosemite (and Mavericks and Mountain Lion et al back to 2012). Never moved to El Capitan.

Removed my Kepler card and rebuilt this box with my CCC backup drive today using Tony's guide for Sierra and UEFI boot mode. Everything went fine. Followed all the BIOS recs except that there was no pick to select "other OS". Disabled USB 3 as I have seen from other's posts that there is no support for it on this MB. USB 2, Bluetooth, and wired network work fine. Integrated graphics work mostly fine--seeing some artifacting on-screen---more with HDMI than with DVI, so using DVI for now.

I have never had to use nVidia CUDA drivers before, and from reading on this site, it shouldn't be necessary for this natively supported card. When I add back the kepler card and power-up, I get a very long GigaByte MB spash screen--like two minutes--which has always been the case with this card, but when the splash screen goes away, the screen goes black, and I see a blinking cursor in the top left corner.

Same symptom whether I use HDMI, DVI, or DisplayPort. I generally prefer DisplayPort because I have a 4k monitor. The problem manifested as soon as I installed the Kepler card. I don't know whether it is possible to do the OS install with the card installed. All keyboard interrupts seem to be ignored, so you can't get into BIOS. However, I added the card after the upgrade to Yosemite two years ago, and so I have never had to try to do it any other way.

Anyone have any ideas what might be going wrong here?

Thanks.

Don

Hi

GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 Version 1.3
UEFI BIOS U1b
i5-2500k
GigaByte Geforce GTX 760 (Kepler)
GBU-521 (bluetooth dongle)f

This was all working perfectly on Yosemite (and Mavericks and Mountain Lion et al back to 2012). Never moved to El Capitan.

Removed my Kepler card and rebuilt this box with my CCC backup drive today using Tony's guide for Sierra and UEFI boot mode. Everything went fine. Followed all the BIOS recs except that there was no pick to select "other OS". Disabled USB 3 as I have seen from other's posts that there is no support for it on this MB. USB 2, Bluetooth, and wired network work fine. Integrated graphics work mostly fine--seeing some artifacting on-screen---more with HDMI than with DVI, so using DVI for now.

I have never had to use nVidia CUDA drivers before, and from reading on this site, it shouldn't be necessary for this natively supported card. When I add back the kepler card and power-up, I get a very long GigaByte MB spash screen--like two minutes--which has always been the case with this card, but when the splash screen goes away, the screen goes black, and I see a blinking cursor in the top left corner.

Same symptom whether I use HDMI, DVI, or DisplayPort. I generally prefer DisplayPort because I have a 4k monitor. The problem manifested as soon as I installed the Kepler card. I don't know whether it is possible to do the OS install with the card installed. All keyboard interrupts seem to be ignored, so you can't get into BIOS. However, I added the card after the upgrade to Yosemite two years ago, and so I have never had to try to do it any other way.

Anyone have any ideas what might be going wrong here?

Thanks.

Don

Which system definition are you using?

I am sure I am should know what file that would be, but I don't. Is this the config.plist from the EFI partition?

Yep. Correct config is on EFI Partition EFI/Clover/config.

It is attached. Thanks.

Attachments

• config.plist
    6.4 KB · Views: 196
It is attached. Thanks.

Remove (inject intel) from config its not needed with dedicated graphics and known to cause problems. System definition is wrong will be better to use iMac 13,2.

Remove (inject intel) from config its not needed with dedicated graphics and known to cause problems. System definition is wrong will be better to use iMac 13,2.

Thanks so much. This fixed everything.

Hi

So since my last post, there is only one remaining weirdness, which I did not catch at the time.

I still get the black screen with flashing cursor in the upper left corner if my monitor is physically connected to a port (display port, hdmi, or DVI) at boot time. Makes no difference whether the monitor is powered on or not.

If I boot up without monitor connected, wait a couple of minutes, and connect the monitor, I will be looking at the mac OS login screen.

If I boot up with monitor connected, I get black screen, flashing cursor, whether or not it is powered on.

For funsies, I tried disconnecting the monitor after the flashing cursor appeared and reconnecting it, but it made no difference.

The reason I did not catch prior to my last post is that I did all the suggested edits by using the integrated graphics, and then forgot to connect the monitor back to the graphics card before booting it. So when I connected my monitor, all was good. Didn't notice this problem until the next reboot.

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back