3000hd
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
***This is a work in progress. I will continue to update as I finish the mod***

This has been a very fun project, there are so many different options to chose from as you work your way through customizing the G5 case!

tonymacx86 has all the information you need. (read, read, read)

I have wanted to do this case mod for some time, and have been keeping an eye out for a G5 case at a decent price. I picked up this G5 on Craigslist for $40.00 :)

The G5 wouldn't power on, but that didn't matter to me as I was going to be stripping it anyways. It was full of Apple guts that had to be removed immediately!

After removing all the internal parts and wiring harnesses, I went ahead and removed all of the long apple motherboard/logic board standoff's. I would not recommend doing this until you figure out if their going to be in your way when it comes time to mount the new motherboard tray. Most use JB Weld to reinstall the standoffs later anyways.

I decided to go with the Mountain Mods Modular Removable Motherboard Tray $49.99
I chose the brushed finish with 2x80mm fan knock outs
(http://www.mountainmods.com/mountain-mods-modular-removable-motherboard-tray-p-56.html

I also decided to use the G5 upper tray that holds the DVD drive. I cut it to allow for the PSU to be mounted, and fan to be accessible to cooling.
cd97d617.jpg

I also used the G5 hard drive cage, as I feel that it is a excellent design. I was able to mount this to the upper tray with 3 screws. This mounts directly under the DVD drive using low profile screws and does not interfere with removal or installation of the DVD drive. The top of the hard drive cage has 3 locations in a triangular pattern that works perfect for mounting.
harddrivecage-1.jpg

After mounting the PSU and DVD drive, I reinstalled the upper tray. Then reassembled the side panel locking unit

2/8/2011

ada6a373.jpg

powermac.jpg

4ef49630.jpg

765cdbbe.jpg

cc517e75.jpg

480bb029.jpg

***This is a work in progress. I will continue to update as I finish the mod***

love the idea, great work :headbang:
just a question, was the stock PSU at the bottom of the case?
thanks !

Thanks Badaboum03,

And yes the factory G5 PSU was installed in the bottom of the case. I installed my PSU in the factory location of where the G5 hard drive cage was.

On my next G5 case mod, I plan on tearing apart a PSU and installing it in the G5 factory location. Others on tonymacx86 have done this and it looks so clean!

thanks for your help, I actually got the same PSU than you and i'm planning to buy the tray from MountainMods but shipping cost so much to Belgium :( :(

Great looking mod. Have you done any more work on it?

Yeah don't keep us hanging since its been a while. How did it come out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back