HD3000/6490m
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello everyone, this is my first post.

I have just ordered a Probook because it is new laptop time and after reading the OSX compatability of the 4530s, I decided to go for it so I can have multiple os's. I share my computers with somebody who prefers OSX. Here are the specs:

i7 2670qm
8Gb Ram
HD3000 and 6490m graphics

I have installed OSX Tiger and Snow Leopard onto Intel PC's before. I started at the beginning with an Asus F3JA 1.67 C2D laptop with x1600m graphics using 10.4.8. More recently I have built a triple booting Dell Optiplex 755 C2D 3.0GHz using iBoot Multi/Easybeast and Apple OSX 10.6.3 install disc. The Dell 755 is really a great and cheap machine! Configuring Grub2 to triple boot OSX, Ubuntu and XP was a pain at first but I got there eventually.

I have read a lot of threads on here so far and will possibly replace the screen with the 1080p one. Anyway, some questions:

I have an official Snow Leopard disc. Should I use that or purchase Mountain Lion for this laptop?
To install ML, I purchase from the App Store then create a USB installer, then use the tegezee Installer App. Is this this correct?
Has any progress been made to support the 6490m graphics?
Any other things I should know?

Hello everyone, this is my first post.

I have just ordered a Probook because it is new laptop time and after reading the OSX compatability of the 4530s, I decided to go for it so I can have multiple os's. I share my computers with somebody who prefers OSX. Here are the specs:

i7 2670qm
8Gb Ram
HD3000 and 6490m graphics

I have installed OSX Tiger and Snow Leopard onto Intel PC's before. I started at the beginning with an Asus F3JA 1.67 C2D laptop with x1600m graphics using Jas 10.4.8. More recently I have built a triple booting Dell Optiplex 755 C2D 3.0GHz using iBoot Multi/Easybeast and Apple OSX 10.6.3 install disc. The Dell 755 is really a great and cheap machine! Configuring Grub2 to triple boot OSX, Ubuntu and XP was a pain at first but I got there eventually.

I have read a lot of threads on here so far and will possibly replace the screen with the 1080p one. Anyway, some questions:

I have an official Snow Leopard disc. Should I use that or purchase Mountain Lion for this laptop?
To install ML, I purchase from the App Store then create a USB installer, then use the tegezee Installer App. Is this this correct?
Has any progress been made to support the 6490m graphics?
Any other things I should know?

hi just contributing back to the community, as a noob and 1st ever 1st go success with some minor issues related to networking, but got it solved. i've still looking for the atheros card on ebay cant seem to find a seller without using paypal. that will also solve the bluetooth problem. unless someone has worked out a kext to use the stock standard intel wifi cards in these most 4x30s that would be awesome.

follow rehabmans guide a you'll be ok. just be aware, the current updated ml 10.8.2 has caused a fresh set of issues, i don't know much about kext or uninstalling software on mac so i'm avoiding updating it till theres another updated mini guide like rehabmans for updating to 10.8.2 from 10.8.1

some users reported using the non combo 10.8.2 and some users reported using the combo update, and then re applying patches or kexts or something and got their MPB working 100%.

but if you can get 10.8.1 ml app and the latest probook installer as of today, you should be ok for the meantime. probably just avoid using safari if you do use of 10.8.1 as there are some browser exploits. see some of my recent posts pointing them out.

i'm also planning on installing w7/w8 later on when the 10.8.2 issues have been solved. and maybe ubuntu. someone has recommended using the chameleon chimera bootloader, instead of grub if ubuntu is involved. the only thing i know is to try figure out a chain load from chameleon/chimera to then w7/w8 or ubuntu. maybe you can point us to some good guides on how to do this

cheers

hi just contributing back to the community, as a noob and 1st ever 1st go success with some minor issues related to networking, but got it solved. i've still looking for the atheros card on ebay cant seem to find a seller without using paypal. that will also solve the bluetooth problem. unless someone has worked out a kext to use the stock standard intel wifi cards in these most 4x30s that would be awesome.

follow rehabmans guide a you'll be ok. just be aware, the current updated ml 10.8.2 has caused a fresh set of issues, i don't know much about kext or uninstalling software on mac so i'm avoiding updating it till theres another updated mini guide like rehabmans for updating to 10.8.2 from 10.8.1

some users reported using the non combo 10.8.2 and some users reported using the combo update, and then re applying patches or kexts or something and got their MPB working 100%.

but if you can get 10.8.1 ml app and the latest probook installer as of today, you should be ok for the meantime. probably just avoid using safari if you do use of 10.8.1 as there are some browser exploits. see some of my recent posts pointing them out.

i'm also planning on installing w7/w8 later on when the 10.8.2 issues have been solved. and maybe ubuntu. someone has recommended using the chameleon chimera bootloader, instead of grub if ubuntu is involved. the only thing i know is to try figure out a chain load from chameleon/chimera to then w7/w8 or ubuntu. maybe you can point us to some good guides on how to do this

cheers

You might check out my blog (see link in signature). I wrote an article there detailing the steps required for multi-boot OS X, win7, win8, Ubuntu.

Hi and welcome!

I purchased a ProBook 4530s last month to hackintosh, and had a Snow Leopard disc. Because my current computer was an early 08 MacBook I had no way to purchase Mountain Lion and thought I would install Snow Leopard and upgrade from there.

As you've said that you've done this before, you may be alright doing it this way, but I had a hell of a time! This was my first experience ever trying this, and installing with SL was next to impossible for me. I actually gave up on it and bought Lion just so that I could install upgrade from there, and that was TONS easier.

Either way, the people on this forum are amazing and will help you every step of the way. This group is a fantastic resource and I can now proudly say I'm working on my fully operational HackBook! (Running 10.8.1 - I'm a little scared to try the 10.8.2 install)

Either way you choose, good luck! Don't hesitate to ask questions!

@jennlaz : is it rock solid hackintosh ( no lagging or kernel panic every now and then ) ? & what about your geekbench score on 10.8 and windows ?

The Optiplex 755 setup I worked on recently already had grub2 booting into Ubuntu and WinXP. I removed the hard drive and replaced it with a blank SATA to install Snow Leopard on. Once SL was up and running, I put the original hard drive back in. I needed to put a new entry into the Grub boot menu and point it to Chimera on the SL drive. This is achieved through editing a file under Ubuntu and inserting the correct commands for the new entry. The file you need to edit is /etc/grub.d/40_custom. Don't forget to run update-grub after any edits. There are many guides online and also a great write up here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275

If you do any Grub research, dont get old grub mixed up with new grub. There are some differences. For instance, the hard disk and partition naming has changed."boot (hd0,1)" used to be the 2nd partition on the 1st drive. It now refers to the 1st partition on the 1st drive.

I couldnt get iBoot to see the Linux partition. The XP partition was detected fine, so I could have chain loaded into Ubuntu from a bootloader menu on the XP partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back