Graphics
EVGA GTX670FTW
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Turns out my video card went belly up when my motherboard did as well. Not wanting to wait on an online shop, and not wanting to spend a ton of money ( just spent 200 bucks having a PSU and MOBO over nighted from new eggs ) I went to best buy ten mins from close, and was forced to choose between two PNY cards to replace my evga gt640. I could have gotten a 2gb GT640 for 99.99, which is about what I paid for mine on New Egg, but I picked up a 1gb GTX 650 for 129.99.

I know the 640 is pretty entry level but I was running pain killer 3 and COD MWF2 on the highest settings just fine. It was 2gb of DDR3 ram, and a 2 slot, non powered ( meaning no additional power from my PSU, just ran in PCI-E Slot ) card. This PNY GTX650 is 1gb of DDR5 ram, 1 slot, and requires an extra pci power connecter from my PSU.

Did I do right? I can still return and exchange, or return, and run off of the HD4000 until I can make up my mind. This card looks dinky but supposedly is better? What draw backs will I notice having only 1 GB of Vram instead of 2 GB? does DDR5 make enough of a difference to really out preform with half the capacity?

Any feed back is greatly appreciated!

BTW I made no changes to my system for this card, and all three of my OS's boot up just fine, how ever do I need to do anything ( short of letting windows update the drivers ) to get the most out of this new card?

Turns out my video card went belly up when my motherboard did as well. Not wanting to wait on an online shop, and not wanting to spend a ton of money ( just spent 200 bucks having a PSU and MOBO over nighted from new eggs ) I went to best buy ten mins from close, and was forced to choose between two PNY cards to replace my evga gt640. I could have gotten a 2gb GT640 for 99.99, which is about what I paid for mine on New Egg, but I picked up a 1gb GTX 650 for 129.99.

I know the 640 is pretty entry level but I was running pain killer 3 and COD MWF2 on the highest settings just fine. It was 2gb of DDR3 ram, and a 2 slot, non powered ( meaning no additional power from my PSU, just ran in PCI-E Slot ) card. This PNY GTX650 is 1gb of DDR5 ram, 1 slot, and requires an extra pci power connecter from my PSU.

Did I do right? I can still return and exchange, or return, and run off of the HD4000 until I can make up my mind. This card looks dinky but supposedly is better? What draw backs will I notice having only 1 GB of Vram instead of 2 GB? does DDR5 make enough of a difference to really out preform with half the capacity?

Any feed back is greatly appreciated!

BTW I made no changes to my system for this card, and all three of my OS's boot up just fine, how ever do I need to do anything ( short of letting windows update the drivers ) to get the most out of this new card?

I found one comparison between the two (http://www.hwcompare.com/13461/geforce-gt-640-ddr3-vs-geforce-gtx-650/) - it seems the GTX 650 is better than the GT 640 in all respects. From the sounds of your usage, I don't think you'll miss the extra GB of RAM on the graphics card either.

It would definitely be a good idea to make sure the drivers are updated on Windows, but otherwise I say if it's working leave it alone and enjoy it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back