Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So I am so close to getting my g5 case!! :beachball: I know a lot of people have done it already and what not. But I was wondering what size mother board I should get? I was doing some research and I do plan to get this:

http://www.mountainmods.com/mountain-mo ... v7gpfhhoo3

But my main concern for the mother board is that if I get a full size ATX would I have to cut the top divider? because that is where I plan to place my hard drives. And also another question that seems to come up a lot is, will I be able to use the bottom tray for the PSU? I know I can mod the Aftermarket PSU to fit into the Apple bottom tray PSU, but if I was to buy that motherboard tray will it in the way? I always just figured I can make a cutout and just put the PSU plug in. Sorry if my english is unclear. And thank you in advance for your HELP!

That mobo is the right way to go :thumbup: . it does accomodate a full atx board without cutting into the top section just make sure you order it with the 2 80 mm fans and no security flange on the rear backplate since the 120 mm will not fit the rear unless you dont use the original standoffs and glue/solder the standoffs to the bare plate.

But would it be difficult for me to access the PSU tray no the bottom?

D Dubz said:
But would it be difficult for me to access the PSU tray no the bottom?
That mother board tray is great, I have the same one. The thing is depending how you cut out the rear and placing of the mobo tray you either lose the bottom area or you cut the tray up top and lose the HDD mounting area there.

Here is mine, take a look and see. I reinstalled the HDD tray in the front with the original G5 standoffs. Some JB weld and ingenuity and you can pretty much do anything with the inside of the case.

viewtopic.php?f=76&t=16300

Thanks for all the replies! I think i'm getting an idea of how the casing is going to work. But here comes noob question duos! Does every part have to be mac compatible? I know I will need to get a certain mobo and video card. Is there any like MUST HAVE specs to the mobo and video card? Also does the hard drives/cd drives have to be catered to apple? Or does those parts not matter? Any other parts that I should worry about? Thanks you in advance ONCE again! :headbang:

Yes you need to use the right hardware while using the correct guide in making a hackintosh. If you check out the user build section you will see confermed builds with guides. Go through and see what kind of set up you wan or need and go from there.
Also Tony has three custom mac builds that work with ease as long as you follow the guide.
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/search/label/CustoMac

can i just get a mobo that worked, and then get a video card from another? or does it have to be a combo deal?

You can pick and choose.
You can get an Asus mobo and a nVidia card or Gigabyte mobo wih an ATI card. YOu just need to make sure that both parts work.
Check the wiki section, make a parts list and post it, people will let you know if something wont work or not on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back