Contribute
Register

Jimx86's Build Installation: Live Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.
9:08 AM

Finished basic motherboard installation (RAM/CPU/HSF).
Installing motherboard into case..

jimx86 said:
It's been a fun day so far since 7 AM.
By the way.. Am I supposed to remove the stickers off the RAM? I think I should, but it says it voids the warranty.
Nah, you can keep them...
It's not that they harm the looks of your rig ;)

jimx86 said:
9:08 AM

Finished basic motherboard installation (RAM/CPU/HSF).
Installing motherboard into case..

:clap:
Now it would be a great moment to grab a beer and relax...
But at 9:08AM, I think a coffee might work better ;)

Lnx2Mac

Lnx2Mac said:
:clap:
Now it would be a great moment to grab a beer and relax...
But at 9:08AM, I think a coffee might work better ;)

Lnx2Mac

I think I'd actually prefer an ice cold drink. And no thanks for the alcohol, I don't drink ;)

9:36 AM

Short review on Thermaltake V9 Black Edition:

The case looks good! Really black! But you know what sucks about it? Even when you have all the lights on in your room it's impossible to see inside! :p

Ok, on to the real reason why I don't like this case: The I/O panel took forever to get out! I had priers (if that's what you call them) and it still took me 30 minutes to get off! :banghead:

I had to actually check other newegg reviews to make sure I was supposed to be using so much force in getting the panel off. In the end the back of my case was bent (very flimsy metal) and I had to pry it back into shape.

But then again.. it's normally $115 and I got it for $50 after rebate, so I guess I can't complain..

10:21 AM

Motherboard firmly affixed to the case. Thermaltake V9 case suggested that I screw in 10 holes, but the P55A-UD3 only had 9 holes to screw in.. so I'm going with 9.

10:31 AM

My EVGA GTX 260 is looking a bit weird.. there's no fan where the fan's supposed to be :eek:

Update: I just rechecked other online unboxings, and the fan seems to be the same, but that's really weird since there's like no fan there, I"m surprised how air is supposed to pass through.

11:06 AM

Ok.. Think I ran into some troubles.. My GTX 260 isn't lining up with the PCIe slot on my P55A-UD3. When I line it up with the case PCIe slot, it's not inline with the motherboard PCIe slot. When in line with the case, it's not with the motherboard.. I'll try to see what I can do.

jimx86 said:
11:06 AM

Ok.. Think I ran into some troubles.. My GTX 260 isn't lining up with the PCIe slot on my P55A-UD3. When I line it up with the case PCIe slot, it's not inline with the motherboard PCIe slot. When in line with the case, it's not with the motherboard.. I'll try to see what I can do.

This is weird. Assuming your motherboard is screwed in to the right holes, this should not be happening. Could you post a picture?

auntyjamima said:
This is weird. Assuming your motherboard is screwed in to the right holes, this should not be happening. Could you post a picture?

Hey, thanks aunty, I fixed it! Ironically, the PCIe tool-less design which was supposed to make it easier for me to install was hindering my GTX 260 from fitting in the case! :D

Fixed it - although it took me an hour to figure out! :banghead:

11:51

Got the graphics card in! It took me forever to figure out that the tool-less PCIe design was hindering me! Here's how to fix it if you ever get a Thermaltake V9:

Remove the tool-less PCIe design from the screws on the back of the case which connected it.

I couldn't get it for the past 30 minutes, so I went to lunch, when I came back - for some reason - those screws became extremely obvious. I unscrewed them and the tool-less design came out! :headbang: Next, the drives!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back