Graphics
Nvidia
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Performed the 10.10.3 upgrade a few days after release. Upgrade was flawless direct via the appstore upgrade process, didn't even lose audio.

That said, my performance since then has been, for lack of better words, choppy or jerky. I'm getting frequent freezes that last anywhere from a second to 3-5 seconds. Sometimes it manifests itself as the spinning beachball of death in some apps, and other times (like right now as I type this) it manifests itself in the foreground app just simply freezing up - I typed about 4 words in this sentence with no response...and then suddenly it "un freezes" and catches up.

My main system drive is an SSD (albeit there's 4 other internal drives as well), there's nothing particularly taxing going on on the system at the time this occurs...and with a core i7 and 16 gigs of ram Chrome alone shouldn't taxing it to the point of these bogging episodes. I tried Safari, no different - it's not just the browser, it seems to be all apps.

Thoughts? It definitely did NOT perform like this before the upgrade.

Performed the 10.10.3 upgrade a few days after release. Upgrade was flawless direct via the appstore upgrade process, didn't even lose audio.

That said, my performance since then has been, for lack of better words, choppy or jerky. I'm getting frequent freezes that last anywhere from a second to 3-5 seconds. Sometimes it manifests itself as the spinning beachball of death in some apps, and other times (like right now as I type this) it manifests itself in the foreground app just simply freezing up - I typed about 4 words in this sentence with no response...and then suddenly it "un freezes" and catches up.

My main system drive is an SSD (albeit there's 4 other internal drives as well), there's nothing particularly taxing going on on the system at the time this occurs...and with a core i7 and 16 gigs of ram Chrome alone shouldn't taxing it to the point of these bogging episodes. I tried Safari, no different - it's not just the browser, it seems to be all apps.

Thoughts? It definitely did NOT perform like this before the upgrade.

After the update have enabled the TRIM support??

After the update have enabled the TRIM support??

I did. :)

I tracked the issue back to my SSD. Not sure what's going on but it's slowed to an absolute crawl. Blackmagic speed test would barely register its read rate.

Running some diagnostics on it now.

I did. :)

I tracked the issue back to my SSD. Not sure what's going on but it's slowed to an absolute crawl. Blackmagic speed test would barely register its read rate.

Running some diagnostics on it now.

Multibeast 7.2.0 TRIM patch will not work on 10.10.3. Have you confirmed the TRIM support?

Also which NVIDIA GFX card you have??

Ok, I used the Trim Enabler app to reenable trim after the upgrade...and it shows that trim is active...but after you mentioned it I looked in my system profile and it shows it isn't.

This all came on after my SSD accidentally filled up a few nights ago, so I'm guessing this isn't coincidental?

I've downloaded Chameleon SSD Optimizer now and am just waiting for my system to clone to my backup drive before making any more changes. Once a get Trim properly enabled again and reboot I'm hoping things will pick up?

Ok, I used the Trim Enabler app to reenable trim after the upgrade...and it shows that trim is active...but after you mentioned it I looked in my system profile and it shows it isn't.

This all came on after my SSD accidentally filled up a few nights ago, so I'm guessing this isn't coincidental?

I've downloaded Chameleon SSD Optimizer now and am just waiting for my system to clone to my backup drive before making any more changes. Once a get Trim properly enabled again and reboot I'm hoping things will pick up?

Run the below codes on Terminal, Reboot and check the TRIM Support

Code:
sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x00\x41\x50\x50\x4c\x45\x20\x53\x53\x44\x00|\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00|' /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage

Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

Source : http://www.tonymacx86.com/os-x-updates/161314-os-x-10-10-3-update-6.html#post1017430

Trim is now enabled, and confirmed. Rebooted...no improvement. Blackmagic speed test still showing only about 25m/sec write, and 5-10m/sec read.

Thinking I'll boot from my clone, reformat the SSD and then restore to it and see if that helps. Not sure what else to do here.

Cloned, booted from clone, performance normal again.

Formatted SSD, started restore of ~220 gigs of data to the SSD. 6 hours later it's only 3/4 done.

I think I have a physical hardware problem with the SSD. I see no other possible explanation at this point.

Cloned, booted from clone, performance normal again.

Formatted SSD, started restore of ~220 gigs of data to the SSD. 6 hours later it's only 3/4 done.

I think I have a physical hardware problem with the SSD. I see no other possible explanation at this point.

Then it may be the hardware issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back