Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Apple have just pushed out the latest java update:

cgj8XZw.png

Java for OS X 2013-002 delivers improved security, reliability, and compatibility by updating Java SE 6 to 1.6.0_43.

On systems that have not already installed Java for OS X 2012-006, this update disables the Java SE 6 applet plug-in. To use applets on a web page, click on the region labeled "Missing plug-in" to download the latest version of the Java applet plug-in from Oracle.

This update also removes the Java Preferences application, which is no longer required to configure applet settings.
Standalone download here - 63.84 MB

SCdTDrj.png

So who fancy's testing it :p

I believe I installed that yesterday....my mistake.

Caused a kernel panic and wouldn't restart, and instead of trying to figure stuff out because I've been out of the game for a while. I just did a clean install o_O. It was no biggie because I just have my OS on an SSD, but yeah I won't be upgrading anything but iTunes from now on.

I'm new to all of this. I built the Customac Mini H77N with an i3 processor and it works beautifully. As far as the Java update is there a procedure for applying it or do you just bite the bullet and hit UPDATE?

I'm new to all of this. I built the Customac Mini H77N with an i3 processor and it works beautifully. As far as the Java update is there a procedure for applying it or do you just bite the bullet and hit UPDATE?
Best advice is to use something like Carbon Copy Cloner before updates. Just backed up my OS drive and installed and thankfully everything is alright :)

Time Machine works great and it's free. Carbon Copy Cloner is another option. Either way you should use one or the other to automatically backup your boot drive.

A java update should not cause a kernel panic on startup. The only exception, that I can think of, is maybe some 3rd party plugins. I tend to stay away from those due to stability issues anyway.

Holding off on Java updates is probably the worst thing you can do right now due to a number of high severity security flaws actively being exploited. Any system is susceptible to Java exploits and they typically come from a legitimate website that's been hacked.

Updated via App Store and all is well, as expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back