Contribute
Register

Ivy Bridge Reviews Roundup - CPUs Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there actually any real reason to upgrade from an SB-i5 or SB-i7? The performance boost seems to be mediocre, and the on-cpu graphics are also not the big killer, even while being a bit more solid than before...

shibirian said:
Is there actually any real reason to upgrade from an SB-i5 or SB-i7? The performance boost seems to be mediocre, and the on-cpu graphics are also not the big killer, even while being a bit more solid than before...
If you have a SB generation system upgrading to IB would make no sense, but if you are about to plan a new build IB might be the better choice.

Mieze

I'm about to build a new system but how long will it take for IB to be fully supported? Is it worth the wait or just get a SB CPU?

brxxthe said:
I'm about to build a new system but how long will it take for IB to be fully supported? Is it worth the wait or just get a SB CPU?
IB will be fully supported as soon as Apple comes out with new IB based Mac models. According to Apples product live cycle we should expect so see new iMacs and MacBooks Pro within the next two month but you know Apples philosophy not to release new products until they are "ready".
The question if it is worth waiting for IB mainly depends on your needs. In case you want to build a high end machine waiting may be the best choice, but if you are thinking of a cheap system a SB CPU in combination with a series 7 mainboard would be the best solution as Intel won't release any low end IB CPUs in the near future.

Mieze

So is the ivy bridge Core i7 3770K for $313 faster than sandy bridge i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6 core for $599?

I'm really confused.

brxxthe said:
IB has built-in gpu and therefore uses a lot more power as SB does in Idle, that's one point to consider.

Then there is ebay and similar sources with used SB stuff showing up soon, because of upgraders, so this is another money saving argument. Not sure if SB will become cheaper anytime soon.

Fully supported is another argument; I like it, that the new boards for Ivy don't need certain kexts no more, but then again that's also not such a big reason.

Personally I would tend of going with an Ivy board with an (used) SB chip anyway, because of power and money savings.

Just my 2cent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back