Contribute
Register

Ivy Bridge Reviews Roundup - CPUs Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
frebay said:
So is the ivy bridge Core i7 3770K for $313 faster than sandy bridge i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6 core for $599?

I'm really confused.

nope. the 3770k is a quad core replacement for the 2600k/2700k on the socket 1155 platform.
the 3930k is lga2011.
the die shrink of 1155 sandy to ivy does not mean its better than the hex core sandy bridge-e cpu.

shibirian said:
IB has build in gpu and therefore uses a lot more power as SB in Idle, that's one point to consider.

Fully suported is another argument. I like it, that the new boards for Ivy don't need certain kexts no more, but then again that's also not such a big reason.

not to nit pick, but those 2 points arent exactly right.
sb and ib both have on-die gpu, its just that the ib cpus are getting a bump in performance (some models at least) to hd4000.
i would expect ib cpus to use less power than sb.

also these new boards arent ivy boards, they are panther point boards.
there isnt any less kexts needed with them (or more). the main thing (for gigabyte) is the move from bios to uefi, which comes with the benefit of not needing a dsdt for certain things (as is the case with many non-gigabyte uefi cougar point boards).

Mieze said:
brxxthe said:
I'm about to build a new system but how long will it take for IB to be fully supported? Is it worth the wait or just get a SB CPU?
IB will be fully supported as soon as Apple comes out with new IB based Mac models. According to Apples product live cycle we should expect so see new iMacs and MacBooks Pro within the next two month but you know Apples philosophy not to release new products until they are "ready".
The question if it is worth waiting for IB mainly depends on your needs. In case you want to build a high end machine waiting may be the best choice, but if you are thinking of a cheap system a SB CPU in combination with a series 7 mainboard would be the best solution as Intel won't release any low end IB CPUs in the near future.

Mieze

Thanks guys, My current build is a Core2Quad with only 4GB ram - so I'm thinking its probably best to start out with 77 board and a SB cpu - it seems the risks of IB outweigh the benefits until Apple makes their announcement. Seems that early reviews of performance (with O/C) isn't enough for my needs to hold out for a few months. I'm not going to build all at once so I can start piecing it together and buy the CPU last. Now on to researching Gigabyte 77 vs Intel Mobo.

nope. the 3770k is a quad core replacement for the 2600k/2700k on the socket 1155 platform.
the 3930k is lga2011.
the die shrink of 1155 sandy to ivy does not mean its better than the hex core sandy bridge-e cpu.

So I can go w/ the SB 3930k 6 core if I want something faster?

frebay said:
So I can go w/ the SB 3930k 6 core if I want something faster?

Power management isn't working yet on Socket 2011- so you'll have to use NullCPUPowermanagement.kext. If you're planning on overclocking, and don't care about sleep, wake, speedstep, it's a powerful platform.

Here's an excellent x79 build that just made the Golden Builds section:

Asus X79 Sabertooth | Core i7-3960x (Successful)
viewtopic.php?f=264&t=57962

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back