Xeon E3-1245v2
Graphics
Asus GeForce GT 640
Classic Mac
  1. LC
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello

I wish to explore the possibility of a build using one of the Ivy Bridge Xeons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Xeon_microprocessors#.22Ivy_Bridge.22_.2822_nm.29

Questions I wish to find answers for are...

1. Do these processors work as drop-in replacements on ordinary LGA 1155 boards? I know this will mean no ECC, but anyway.

2. To gain ECC functionality, I assume I need a motherboard that officially supports these Xeons. Are there any in the Gigabyte range, or any other motherboars from other manufacturers that someone could recommend? Power saving, Firewire, USB, audio, Ethernet should work if at all possible. Are there any affordable uniprocessor Xeon workstation mobos?

3. Will I be able to use the HD4000 in these Xeons as easily as the one in Ivy Bridge i5s, 3570K for example? Or are these different?

I do not wish to discuss whether I _need_ ECC or if i5 or i7 is better than Xeons. I only wish to know if this will work.

Hello

I wish to explore the possibility of a build using one of the Ivy Bridge Xeons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Xeon_microprocessors#.22Ivy_Bridge.22_.2822_nm.29

Questions I wish to find answers for are...

1. Do these processors work as drop-in replacements on ordinary LGA 1155 boards? I know this will mean no ECC, but anyway.

2. To gain ECC functionality, I assume I need a motherboard that officially supports these Xeons. Are there any in the Gigabyte range, or any other motherboars from other manufacturers that someone could recommend? Power saving, Firewire, USB, audio, Ethernet should work if at all possible. Are there any affordable uniprocessor Xeon workstation mobos?

3. Will I be able to use the HD4000 in these Xeons as easily as the one in Ivy Bridge i5s, 3570K for example? Or are these different?

I do not wish to discuss whether I _need_ ECC or if i5 or i7 is better than Xeons. I only wish to know if this will work.

Hello, and welcome.

Q#1 - All LGA1155 boards will except Xeon and other LGA1155 CPU chips.

Q#2 - For ECC support yes you will need a motherboard that is a server board. They do exist but you will have to research that and find one. How compatible it will be will depend on the chipsets that are placed on the board. By Chipsets, is the firewire chipset a TI chip, is the USB chipset an Intel Z77, etc....

Q#3 - HD4000, is only on the chips listed as having that internal GPU. A Xeon chip doesn't have it and thus it won't be activated under OSX.

May, I ask why you need a Xeon CPU? They are pretty much the same as any other 1155 chip for performance reasons. The added features those chips offer won't do much unless it's for a specific reason.

I am writing this on OSX 10.8.3 with a Xeon E3-1245v2 (HD4000 graphics) attached via DisplayPort to a 27" Dell LED.
It is absolutely no problem, no flashing, hacking or anything needed. Runs on a GA-Z77x-UP5 TH without problems.
This board does not support ECC. The Asus P8C WS will support ECC, but it is not fully compatible and will require hacking and flashing on your side.
This Xeon E3-1245v2 was even cheaper than the equivalent i7-3770, which is essentially the same cpu w/ ECC support disabled by intel.

I am writing this on OSX 10.8.3 with a Xeon E3-1245v2 (HD4000 graphics) attached via DisplayPort to a 27" Dell LED.
It is absolutely no problem, no flashing, hacking or anything needed. Runs on a GA-Z77x-UP5 TH without problems.
This board does not support ECC. The Asus P8C WS will support ECC, but it is not fully compatible and will require hacking and flashing on your side.
This Xeon E3-1245v2 was even cheaper than the equivalent i7-3770, which is essentially the same cpu w/ ECC support disabled by intel.

Well, then I guess you already had an answer that you were looking for. Those Xeon chips do have a couple of other features besides ECC support.

That Asus board is a great board. Flashing the BIOS isn't really a hack. Just a quick flash and your on your way for the most part. Since, the Xeon is already purchased and working then just keep it that board. Although, to each their own. If ECC Ram and the other features are really needed then by all means get this Asus WS board.

What about Firewire? Will I be able to use the Firewire port of Asus P8C WS?

If not, I have already ordered http://www.sunix.com.tw/product/fwb3414g.html

But I can cancel it if I do not need it. It will take some weeks before it gets here, and even then I need not take it. What should I do?

Edit: The functionality depends on VIA 6308S being supported in OS X. But, the board has two 1384a ports. I need 1384b ports. So I think I will take the Sunix card anyway.

I wonder if there are any other good workstation motherboards with support for Xeon and ECC, or does Asus have the market cornered with its P8B and P8C models?

I know there are server motherboards. But how about ATX motherboards (or any other form factor) that will fit inside an ordinary ATX case?

I am delaying this a bit, because I am unsure if I need a new machine now.

I wonder if there are any other good workstation motherboards with support for Xeon and ECC, or does Asus have the market cornered with its P8B and P8C models?

I know there are server motherboards. But how about ATX motherboards (or any other form factor) that will fit inside an ordinary ATX case?

I am delaying this a bit, because I am unsure if I need a new machine now.

There are a few more server boards. They won't be as common since, building a server isn't for everyone.
The added reliability isn't something every user needs.

So, I am guessing you have done your research and understand the advantages of this set up.

I have problems with the same CPU in a P8C WS motherboard. There is only one display resolution and that is whatever I set in the boot menu configuration file. And no acceleration, no anything. Just basic graphics.

So do you know for sure that there is support for the Xeon version of HD4000? Or is there a publicly available driver or some tweak to make it work?

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/ww...ance-xeon-e3-1200-hd-graphics-p4000-guide.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back