Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi guys,

I'm looking to set up an Ivy Bridge system around the June timeframe.

My question is, to the best of your knowledge when will vanilla kernel support be added for IVB? 10.7.4 or more likely Mountain Lion?

I'm also questioning whether Ivy Bridge is really better than SB for overclocking especially considering how hot it's gotten (at least in review samples). I wonder if the retail versions will go back to being soldered under the IHS versus using thermal paste?

Thoughts? I know the new z77 boards will work great with SB...

My bet is mountain lion to go with new macs that have ivy bridge.

the heat issue is strange.
the tdp is lower on ivy bridge.

I also saw some over clocker doing past 4 ghz with stock cooler and acceptable temps.

Temps could be a case issue or like I read once before that Inte does not sole source fan and heatsink . So maybe the exact fan on certain processors vary.

I saw on rant on Newegg about a fan and went to Intel site and sure enough they do use more than one supplier for fans and have a code to identify it by.

chorner said:
Hi guys,

I'm looking to set up an Ivy Bridge system around the June timeframe.

My question is, to the best of your knowledge when will vanilla kernel support be added for IVB? 10.7.4 or more likely Mountain Lion?

I'm also questioning whether Ivy Bridge is really better than SB for overclocking especially considering how hot it's gotten (at least in review samples). I wonder if the retail versions will go back to being soldered under the IHS versus using thermal paste?

Thoughts? I know the new z77 boards will work great with SB...

Just saw a great video about overclocking ivy yesterday. Definitely worth a view:

http://youtu.be/4mkGQhE1o2w

Great video !!!
Thanks....
Also at Passmark Benchmarks HD4000 is close to the same as a GT430...

Interesting, thanks guys! Much appreciated.

For normal every-day use, 4.6-4.8Ghz is going to be perfect. I'll probably put it under an actual watercooling loop (not a Corsair Hxx haha).

Nice video link. I wonder if OS X will ever be able to have some fancy GPU switching on the desktop like in the laptops? Also be cool to make use of the video transcoding instructions on the SB/IVB platform in the future.

I hope 10.7.4... I'd like to build this around the end of June timeframe :p

From what I read, 4.8 may be pushing it.

The screaming and gnashing of teeth from the hardcore OCers is odd, though. Now they're going on about intel using paste TIM under the heat spreader instead of solder. Whatevs. :rolleyes:

The 3D transistor has so much more area for current to leak out of! They switch more easily, allowing lower voltages, but once the voltages climb during overclocking the current just spews out the EXTRA 3X+ GATE JUNCTION AREA and they get hotter than camel poop. :?

At least that's my theory. Current leaking. I'm expecting to get 4.5 on air with a vcore of... 1.2? That's just based on the Anandtech piece, though. But certainly 4.8 is near or in the range where IB just gets hot. It just gets hot.

On the plus side, it uses less power in the area where it OC's well.

As for OS support, I'd give 3:2 odds on 10.7.4 having Ivy support.

If you want to OC a whole whole bunch and don't need PCIe 3.0, SB might be better.

What you're saying makes sense to me as well. I think if they did switch to thermal paste, it would however have a negative effect versus a soldered IHS. But, the biggest issue I believe after reading everything is just due to the fact that as the process shrinks, and in combination with the Tri-Gate transistor setup you're seeing higher leakage trying to hit the voltages we're used to.

Also, seeing as though it's a very new process - I'd give it another 4-6 months for it to smooth out, and you'll start to see an additional ~200mhz headroom on them.

For me, I think I've decided that the integrated USB 3.0, and PCIe 3.0 is a safer bet to grab now to last 'for the long term'. I'd love to move my 2 SSD's (Intel 520) to some native 6Gb/s ports, and I've got a Radeon 7970 patiently waiting OS X support. So I think even if I can't get "4.8Ghz" out of it, a decent mid 4ghz clock will ease my 'need' to feel like I've gotten something out of the chip.

10.7.4 can't come soon enough :p

Thanks for the moral support. I'm probably just going to go for bridge helper when my parts get here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back