Graphics
built in
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Forgive me if this is covered by a previous topic - I just have no idea where to begin searching for this problem.

I built a system 18 months ago and got it up to date with Mountain Lion. All worked well - well, sort-of well, there were issues with the magic mouse - but then it was decided to upgrade to Yosemite.

I followed the Unibeast procedure at [http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...-x-yosemite-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html] to upgrade (modified at one point to skip the reformat of the system disk, so that it instead upgraded the existing installation) and all went well. The mouse started working properly and the owner was happy as a clam. Astute readers will have noticed that I skipped a version, from 10.8 to 10.10 ;) but that should not be an issue - I have upgraded a "real" iMac from 10.6 to 10.10 without trouble.

Hardware: Megabyte GA-B75M-D3P with an i7-3770 and 8 GB RAM and no add-on graphics card - no add-on cards of any description. The system disk is a Kingston 120 GB SSD.

The upgrade, I should point out, was not completely smooth. Original installation was done using a DVI screen and I don't remember any issues when it was installed on site with its Apple mini-DVI "Cinema" screen. But using the same procedure this time around the Apple screen went all squirly after boot, once the Unibeast screen switched over to OS X. I'm not entirely sure what the cure was, but I seem to remember tooling around in Multibeast and that was that. I guess I must have added the Intel video driver.

All the Apple updates then installed without incident and it has been working fine for about a month. But suddenly one day on the weekend the owner switched on (which in itself is strange - it's normally left on) and when it booted the video was low-res and stretched, like a "square" screen res displaying on a wide-screen monitor (which is I'm sure exactly what it was). Then after a couple of boots, it wouldn't go past the "Apple" screen with the progress bar a little short of half-way. :banghead:

If I put the DVI screen back, it comes up perfectly and everything works. I tried running Multibeast again and reinstalling the Intel video driver, but that made no difference.

What can have happened? An Apple update that broke something?

Should I be upgrading to Unibeast 5.1?

Sorry about the long verbose over-explanation but I thought rather more information than not enough, right?

I can't believe no-one has any suggestions??? :(

I'm completely at a loss here. A beer for the first person to give me a hint... please... :crazy:

I can't believe no-one has any suggestions??? :(

I'm completely at a loss here. A beer for the first person to give me a hint... please... :crazy:

I can understand your frustration but please read the Rules.
Rules said:
No member can ask, accept, offer or provide any form of compensation to any other member for any form of assistance

I can understand your frustration but please read the Rules.

I understand your invocation of the rules but I thought it was pretty clear my post was tongue in cheek. I can hardly see anyone claiming this particular reward from the other side of the planet...

Sorry everyone, offer withdrawn. But I still need help - please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back