Graphics
GTX 1050 TI
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello.

I've posted before on my needs for a Hackintosh but I think I went in the wrong forum.

I'm getting a new system to replace a 2011 Mac Mini for music production and down the line upgrade it if necessary to start photo and video editing. This system will also need to be able to stream and do real-time audio at the same time and maybe even game streaming. I want this system to be powerful and last as long as possible. I also need lots of drives, Thunderbolt support and for it to be as stable as possible, with the occasional upgrade, and as vanilla as possible.

This leads me away from Kaby Lake and Z270 boards, as all the info I can see is about testing. Also, should you use a Kaby Lake, will you still be able to access the encoding features and whatnot, considering you must spoof Skylake and there is no support ready for those processors?

In any case, I was going to just follow the Buyer's Guide, as I have zero experience with this subject and want the most hassle free and stable build possible. So I chose the Gigabyte z170-UD5-TH. Unfortunately, in Portugal, it is hard to find and I found out yesterday that it's because it is apparently discontinued. So I need working options of boards that may support Kaby Lake when the time comes.

So far:
i7 6700K or 7700K
- I'm pretty set on the i7 6700K, instead of getting an i5, as later I'll feel the need for the i7 anyway. The only reason I'd consider Kaby Lake is because the prices don't change much. I am, however, the kind of person who'd take advantage of the extra features (unless they are useless with a dedicated GPU) so, if in the meantime, Kaby Lake can be stable without much fuss (or fuss that's already documented and quick to deal with), I could go with it.

32GB RAM
- I'll need to be able to put in 64GB of RAM, I'll start at 32GB most likely, but that's an easy one, I think. Brands don't really make a difference, I'd imagine?

- I'll have 2 SSDs and probably two extra drives to start with, but I want the room for extra drives in the future. I dunno if I'll ever go with M.2 for instance, only when they offer a big improvement over just using an SSD.

- GPU wise, I might want to do some gaming and will want to stream in the future, along with video editing. Which would be the best board and most supported to consider?

- Should the mobo not have TB3, I want a board where I can install a TB card. TB is pretty used in music production, while I don't have stuff like NAS or audio interfaces yet, this PC is to be the centre of a studio, I'm sure they'll come along at some point, and I want to be ready. I'd also want to at some point go for Ozmosis, so the less kexts I need, the better. I want the most vanilla and stable system I can get.

Due to my lack of knowledge, I don't know how to identify compatible components on a store's website, so I need some help there, with the motherboard and GPU, according to my needs.

Any help is appreciated!
Moniker

Hello.

I've posted before on my needs for a Hackintosh but I think I went in the wrong forum.

Welcome to Tontmacx86! I will found your other post and move/answer as required.

I'm getting a new system to replace a 2011 Mac Mini for music production and down the line upgrade it if necessary to start photo and video editing. This system will also need to be able to stream and do real-time audio at the same time and maybe even game streaming. I want this system to be powerful and last as long as possible. I also need lots of drives, Thunderbolt support and for it to be as stable as possible, with the occasional upgrade, and as vanilla as possible.

This leads me away from Kaby Lake and Z270 boards, as all the info I can see is about testing. Also, should you use a Kaby Lake, will you still be able to access the encoding features and whatnot, considering you must spoof Skylake and there is no support ready for those processors?

In any case, I was going to just follow the Buyer's Guide, as I have zero experience with this subject and want the most hassle free and stable build possible. So I chose the Gigabyte z170-UD5-TH. Unfortunately, in Portugal, it is hard to find and I found out yesterday that it's because it is apparently discontinued. So I need working options of boards that may support Kaby Lake when the time comes.

Look for a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Designare, as you are aware the manufactures have moved to Z270 so be quick and grab a board from Amazon in another European country if needed.

So far:
i7 6700K or 7700K
- I'm pretty set on the i7 6700K, instead of getting an i5, as later I'll feel the need for the i7 anyway. The only reason I'd consider Kaby Lake is because the prices don't change much. I am, however, the kind of person who'd take advantage of the extra features (unless they are useless with a dedicated GPU) so, if in the meantime, Kaby Lake can be stable without much fuss (or fuss that's already documented and quick to deal with), I could go with it.

For improved ease of installation I recommend matching Sky Lake board and CPU or Kaby Lake motherboard with CPU. Don't mix them if running macOS.

32GB RAM
- I'll need to be able to put in 64GB of RAM, I'll start at 32GB most likely, but that's an easy one, I think. Brands don't really make a difference, I'd imagine?

The correct RAM is vital for any computer, this is even more true today. Check the list provided by the motherboard manufacturer with any higher end board as they often have tighter tolerances than cheap boards. Have a look at the memory support list for the Z170X-Designare as an example:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5811#dl

Different RAM modules with a single digit or letter different may give problems. RAM manufactures may also have a section that you can find precise RAM matches for your specific board. As an example hre is the same Z170X-Designare used as an example:
http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Giga-Byte/ga-z170x-designare

- I'll have 2 SSDs and probably two extra drives to start with, but I want the room for extra drives in the future. I dunno if I'll ever go with M.2 for instance, only when they offer a big improvement over just using an SSD.

There is a lot to be said for using an industry standard SSD.

- GPU wise, I might want to do some gaming and will want to stream in the future, along with video editing. Which would be the best board and most supported to consider?

This is were things start to get complicated as nvidia has still not updated the driver package for macOS to include the 1000 series cards. The 2000 series is due is due mid 2017.
If you can find a GTX 980Ti at an attractive price in Europe either new or used (eBay?) then that is at present the best performing macOS card apart from the very expensive Titan X (12GB RAM)

- Should the mobo not have TB3, I want a board where I can install a TB card. TB is pretty used in music production, while I don't have stuff like NAS or audio interfaces yet, this PC is to be the centre of a studio, I'm sure they'll come along at some point, and I want to be ready. I'd also want to at some point go for Ozmosis, so the less kexts I need, the better. I want the most vanilla and stable system I can get.

Required Kexts, 1 for Ethernet, 1 for Audio and SMC. Learn Clover it is incredibly powerful and flexible for macOS installation. Power Management, HDMI audio and USB port work is all additional work.

If you wish to have Continuity and Handoff support from macOS then look for the Fenvi FV-T919:
https://www.amazon.es/dp/B01M997EKF/?tag=tonymacx86c03-21

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M997EKF/?tag=tonymacx86-21

You can simply click through these links to buy the foundational parts for your build from Amazon.es

https://www.amazon.es/dp/B01GFW1974/?tag=tonymacx86c03-21
https://www.amazon.es/dp/B010T6DQTQ/?tag=tonymacx86c03-21
https://www.amazon.es/dp/B019X3T708/?tag=tonymacx86c03-21
https://www.amazon.es/dp/B00NZT6D68/?tag=tonymacx86c03-21

The case, psu and drives can be from a multitude of brands. Just make sure to stay with trusted brand
names that you know. Get at least a 600W PSU. Seasonic and Antec are both good brands to go with.
Also the Corsair models listed in the Buyer's Guide are good choices too.

Thank you for your replies!

Thank you for the links, first of all. Unfortunately, not all those sellers (the used GTX and any used GTX on Amazon) ship here, but I've rebuilt the list already, so, awesome.

If all goes according to plan, I'll use all of the component recommendations above. The SSDs will be 850 Evo, I already have 120GB ones, will be getting 1TB for all my libraries.

The extra 4K stuff on a Kaby Lake is kinda rendered null with an external GPU, I'd imagine?

Well, this way I can better follow the available builds, and will avoid complicating it too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back